Talk

Advanced search

Weaning

(12 Posts)
MollieHodgs Sat 04-Mar-17 18:28:05

At what age did parents start to wean their babies just curious as when to start and is there any signs to look out for?

Thank you smile xx

Kiwi32 Sat 04-Mar-17 18:31:19

The advice is from 6 months and they need to be able to sit largely unsupported and have lost their tongue thrust reflex. We started at 6 months but didn't really get going til about 8. I believe most calories should still come from breast milk/formula until about 1 year (obviously every baby is slightly different). Hope that helps!

DonkeyOaty Sat 04-Mar-17 18:35:40

As per Kiwi's post here's the NHS advice page

FATEdestiny Sat 04-Mar-17 18:36:51

From 6 months.

I can't get stressed about parents who start weaning their 5.5month old, if they are ready. But a 4 month old, it's ridiculous the way baby food companies pressure mums to think tiny babies need food.

DonkeyOaty Sat 04-Mar-17 18:39:30

FATE a family member started their baby at not quite 12 weeks on slop and goo. Poor wee thing. This was recent - the kid is in preschool now. We were shock at the sheer stupidity angry

MollieHodgs Sat 04-Mar-17 18:41:13

At 12 weeks I couldn't imagine weaning him that early !

MollieHodgs Sat 04-Mar-17 18:42:22

Thanks for all of your advice a lot of products like organix baby rice says 4 months so I was slightly confused I would rather wait until he is ready instead of pushing him to soon.

spacefrog35 Sat 04-Mar-17 18:49:02

My DD started stealing food off my plate when she was about 5 months. We let her have some food, one or two meals a day but didn't drop any of her milk. She is now 11 months has 3 meals & 2 snacks a day & has cut her milk down to about 10ozs. It's been very gradual, we've gone at her pace & we're very lucky she's a really good eater. I was quite keen to rush into 3 full meals a day but she just wasn't up for that

MollieHodgs Sat 04-Mar-17 18:52:26

That's amazing! I'm really looking forward to starting the weaning journey I think they let you know when they are ready x

TheMasterNotMargarita Sat 04-Mar-17 18:55:48

Started with 6month old DS a couple of weeks ago.
Signs are as others have said plus being able to bring hands/objects to mouth by themselves and showing interest in your food.
DS was obviously ready as the meagre amount of porridge I made him was wolfed down and he was very keen to feed himself.
We are giving small amounts during the day and if I make something suitable I give him a little to try, mostly to play with it. So toast, cucumber sticks, melon etc.
But no cut down in milk as others have said.

lampfromikea Sat 04-Mar-17 19:22:41

Pretty much what spacefrog did. We started weaning DD at about 19/20 weeks after a GP advised it could help with her reflux.
We took it all at her own pace, and did a mix of spoon feeding purées and appropriate finger foods (soft fruits like berries and buttered toast to start off).
She's also 11 months now and has 3 meals a day, with 2 snacks. Her milk intake is still around 15oz on average but she is below the 12th centile for weight so I'd rather she had a bit more milk than food until she's ready!

Whatsername17 Sun 05-Mar-17 21:40:24

At 19 weeks under GP supervision due to poor weight gain. Started on baby rice then purees and never looked back. Finger foods from 6.5 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now