Talk

Advanced search

Is this Mastitis or Breast Abscess??

(5 Posts)
CSLewis Wed 01-Mar-17 23:04:56

Woke up Monday morning with tenderness at the very top of left breast, got gradually more sore as the day wore on (but too sleep-deprived to think of taking ibuprofen). Got back from school run and in about two minutes flat went from feeling normal to thinking I was going to pass out.

Got to bed, next few hours could barely speak/move/open my eyes /fever of 38.5 so arranged an apt with out-of-hours GP. By the time I saw him (midnight) I was feeling considerably better as had finally taken 400mg ibuprofen. He diagnosed mastitis, gave me a 7 day course of Fluclox.

Monday night/Tuesday, breast was not engorged at all, and only a bit pink at the very top. By Tuesday night there was a definite pink patch covering about a third of the breast. Tonight (48 hours into ABX course) the patch is redder and larger, and there's a visible almost horizontal rectangle of hard sore tissue at the top.

Also not sure if I might have a/some blebs on the inside side of my nipple, as when I was expressing in the bath practically no milk was issuing from that side at all.

I'm just really confused! I'm taking the ABX, alternating ibuprofen and paracetamol every two hours, and I feel much better, but my breast looks visibly worse. Will try to see my GP tomorrow to see what they think about this hard lump at the top (which is not shifting despite lots of massage/hand expression/feeding in the oddest positions) - but wanted also to consult the wise women of Mumsnet to see what you think.

(I've read loads of the mastitis threads on here already, and followed lots of the good advice.) TIA flowers

CSLewis Wed 01-Mar-17 23:16:22

Forgot to say - baby is 11 months old, and I've breastfed several other children. Have successfully headed off blocked ducts before, but don't think I've ever had full-blown mastitis before though - think I'd remember!

hungrywalrus Sat 04-Mar-17 05:56:20

That sounds horrid. You have my deepest sympathies. Do you have a hot water bottle you could use to keep it warm? That's all I can think of... Although I'm sure you've thought of that already. Never had mastitis but have had blocked ducts that kept me up in tears.

CSLewis Sat 04-Mar-17 11:11:18

Thanks hungrywalrus, I'm over the worst now. Don't own a hot water bottle, but semi-soaked a nappy in hot water and a few drops of tea-tree oil and used that as a got compress. The things we do!

hungrywalrus Sat 04-Mar-17 14:28:13

I used a small cooking pot as a warm localised bath and oil to help massage at 5am. This is the pot we make rice in. The things we do indeed...

Hot water bottles are a fabulous thing though. And can be as cheap as 3 quid or so.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: