Talk

Advanced search

Oversupply at 10 weeks help!!

(6 Posts)
Glastronaut Thu 23-Feb-17 14:30:33

This is my second and I've had oversupply since the start which is becoming a bit of a nightmare. Baby wants to comfort suck to sleep especially at night but gets a face full of milk which wakes and frustrates her also often results in an epic vomit (need to change all our clothes plus bed sheets) as she takes too much. This then leads to more milk production. I've started to get plugged ducts now which isn't fun. I wear her in sling all day as she has reflux (medicated) so she doesn't feed to sleep in day. I never pump or express unless I desperately need to for comfort. I'm a walking puddle of milk. Very difficult to feed in public as I need to catch the first ejection in a muslin and she's still coughing and spluttering when on. Wondering whether a dummy at night will help? Has anyone had a similar experience? Will it eventually settle down? Thank you!

Glastronaut Thu 23-Feb-17 14:34:54

Oh and I only ever feed from one side - so each side only gets used 4-6hrly a bit scared about leaving it more due to blocked ducts confused

littledinaco Fri 24-Feb-17 11:55:39

I was going to suggest block feeding but sounds like you're already doing that.
Have you tried biological nursing position to help with fast flow?

Glastronaut Fri 24-Feb-17 13:42:01

Thank you for replying! Yes we do that at home but not really practical when out and about. Fingers crossed things will just settle down..

anxiousowl Fri 24-Feb-17 14:02:14

Hi, I had oversupply problems with my first. I was told to block feed - i.e. feed from one breast until it felt empty then move on to the next, even if that meant just feeding from one breast for a number of feeds.

You can hand express a little from the other breast if it becomes uncomfortably full, but don't express loads or your body will think it needs to make more to compensate.

Mine eventually settled down. Hopefully yours will too.

Kellymom is a very useful site for bf info and has a page on oversupply - kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

littledinaco Fri 24-Feb-17 16:26:43

I know what you mean about it not being practical when out, you can do a version of it out and about, so she straddles your leg (opposite let to boob you're feeding from) and lean back as much as you can. Sorry if this is what you are already doing.

Or if you are able to feed in the sling, may make it a bit easier for you when out.

Hopefully it will settle down for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now