Talk

Advanced search

Toddler eating query- bulking up at breakfast?

(4 Posts)
sureitsgrand Wed 22-Feb-17 07:19:21

Hi, just wondering is it common for toddlers (DS is two) to eat loads at breakfast then pick for the rest of the day? Sometimes he might surprise me and wolf down a full dinner, but he mostly refuses my (lovely home cooked) meals and just picks. But at breakfast he will eat a huge bowl of porridge, some fruit and toast with peanut butter no problem! I'm trying to just go with it, as encouraging doesn't work, or withholding parts of breakfast hoping he will get hungry later. I'm just wondering if it's common? He is not underweight, full of energy and very rarely ill.

wonkylegs Wed 22-Feb-17 07:23:46

My son started this as a toddler and has continued this way - he's now 8 and perfectly healthy & a lovely size. Now he's older we get a little more balance but he still has a massive breakfast (4 weetabix, bagels/toast/crumpets & fruit), hardly any lunch and a small dinner.
He just seems to like to start the day well.

AllTheWittyNamesAreGone Wed 22-Feb-17 07:29:27

My son is six he's just had
2 crumpets
Banana
An apple
And a bowl of porridge

For lunch he will have school dinners but at home usually a small wrap and some fruit , dinner will be a small portion of whatever's going.

Foods always on offer and he can have more but he eats till he's full then he's done, he's a normal weight and height so I assume he's getting enough

Penfold007 Wed 22-Feb-17 08:07:53

Do you allow snacks during the day? If so then stopping or restricting them may help. He eats breakfast because he's hungry but if he then picks all day he won't get hungry enough for a proper meal. I'd also keep an eye on the amount of milk or squash he drinks. My DC can easily loose their appetites if they drink lots of milk.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: