Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Babocush for reflux or alternative?

(21 Posts)
PassTheCake82 Tue 21-Feb-17 18:53:26

Hi Everyone
My LO (7 weeks + 1) has awful silent reflux and will only sleep on his tummy , upright on my chest and so I have been considering purchasing the babocush for daytime naps to allow me to get on and do stuff and as a comfort to him (it looks very good).

I can't seem to find any non-partial reviews however and I've seen a lot of posts on MN about reflux but none about the babocush, is there perhaps a better alternative?

Thanks for reading smile Please note, I am desperate sad

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 21-Feb-17 20:04:56

Sorry, what's a babocush?

PassTheCake82 Tue 21-Feb-17 20:54:47

Sorry blush

www.babocush.com/

It's being hailed as the latest miracle worker for reflux, colic etc. I don't believe it's THAT good but the idea behind it makes sense when you see it.....

smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 21-Feb-17 21:00:44

Have you tried a sling? That does look good but if you just want to settle baby and free your hands, it doesn't seem to offer anything better than being next you in a stretchy wrap smile

PassTheCake82 Tue 21-Feb-17 21:26:59

I have! The sling is a God send as he won't lie in his pram so it's my saviour for getting out and about but in the house I was thinking this might be good for times when I'm cooking or doing anything that might be slightly awkward with the sling.

It's expensive however and the reason I ask is that I've spent so much money on items that just haven't worked with him at all...sleepyhead, cocoonababy and chicco next to me to name but a few!

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 22-Feb-17 19:47:03

Erm, why can't you cook with a sling? smile

westeringhome Thu 23-Feb-17 22:28:03

I've never heard of the babocush til now, looks like it would have been a god send for dc4 who your LO sounds just like, I did have her in the sling for pretty much everything as she was the same and still prefers to be in my arms now at 6 months old but it would have been nice to have a little break, and I totally understand regarding cooking in a sling as it is not recommended due to the obvious dangers, hope you manage to find a solution!

PassTheCake82 Fri 24-Feb-17 07:32:57

Thanks for the replies.

Westeringhome does your LO still suffer from reflux? I have been counting down the weeks in the hope that it will resolve itself soon. So depressing sad. We don't go anywhere or do anything because the whole day is spent in a constant cycle of sleeping, feeding, hiccups/sick, crying and wanting to comfort eat. Can't even sp simple activities because he's always in pain when awake sad

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 24-Feb-17 19:49:44

@PassTheCake82 have you read up on Cow's Milk Protein allergy?

Cakescakescakes Fri 24-Feb-17 19:54:51

Have you tried any meds for the reflux? Omeprazole worked wonders for us and was more compatible with bf than the likes of gaviscon etc.

PassTheCake82 Fri 24-Feb-17 22:25:31

I was prescribed aptimal pepti to try. We lasted two days as he was screaming by midnight the second night and would not settle at all. I think it's because the formula was soo watery and he kept bringing it back up. He does have a lot of CMPI symptoms and I know you need to try the formula for two wks but we decided to try to treat the reflux. Using gaviscon and renitadine (zantac) at the moment but not really seeing any improvement at all. I have heard good things about omeprazole, I'll mention it to my gp and perhaps also request a thickener for the formula. Really wish bf had worked out for me, he never had all these symptoms back in the beginning

westeringhome Fri 24-Feb-17 23:14:15

Hi OP, my little girl is so much better than she was. I remember also hardly bothering leaving the house as i couldn't even put her down long enough to get to the toilet never mind get organised to go out and about, plus I couldnt meet anyone for coffee in public or go visiting or anything as she just screamed constantly plus I was worn out from it and had no real desire or energy to go anywhere. She has been on ranitidine since about 5 weeks and it did take a good few days to kick in but the difference was clear to see, she was relaxed rather than squirming and screaming etc. It took my friend's baby several weeks to improve. My dd is still a rather fussy grumpy baby but that seems to be just her nature rather than any discomfort. She is ebf and has silent reflux, so please don't feel that it would have all been ok if breastfeeding had worked out for you because it can happen regardless of how we feed our babies, plus if it turns out your son has cmpi there are the alternative formulas as you know. It is just horrible though when they're so little and in pain and it's such a lot of trial and error sometimes. You'll get there. Just keep going back to the doc/hv if things don't improve - I hope they do.

Cakescakescakes Fri 24-Feb-17 23:35:16

My DS had terrible reflux despite the breastfeeding so it wouldn't have made much difference!

PassTheCake82 Sat 25-Feb-17 05:02:44

Thank you so much for your replies. It's so good to hear that things do improve and there's light at the end of the tunnel! It's soul destroying and awful to think that mist days I'm wishing time away til he grows older and feels better sad Just wish I could enjoy my time wirh him now.

I'll persevere with finding a cure. Thanks again for your replies, it really means a lot flowers
We are currently lying on the couch - have been since 3am feeding and hehhas has now dropped off on my tummy after a long struggle!!

Meffy Sat 25-Feb-17 05:30:54

Again.... request omprazole.... this is from a mummy who's DC had reflux until 18mths!!!

westeringhome Sat 25-Feb-17 07:22:13

It does feel awful wishing the time away, but it's hard not to when it's like that! I actually do miss my LO cuddled up on my chest to go to sleep, she's far too nosey to do that now haha. Google "mother's guilt funny quotes" smile

Shenanagins Sat 25-Feb-17 07:30:29

Another recommendation for omezprazole nothing worked until I got hold of that for my bf lo.

PassTheCake82 Sat 25-Feb-17 12:35:30

Thanks all. With omeprazole, how does it work? Is it a syrup and is the dose weight dependent? Oh also, how have you dealt with comfort feeding? I've found it to be a vicious cycle - he cries for more milk even when he's had more than enough (e.g. 7oz) and then becomes even more unsettled confused

PassTheCake82 Sat 25-Feb-17 12:43:30

Note: it takes so long to feed my LO that some feeds end up merging together. I try to do some activities (distraction) and introduce a dummy but it doesn't always work. Essentially I just try do stuff for 3 hrs in between but it doesn't always work.

Also, he has hiccups at least four times per day and cries each time. Any tips for comforting him during this?

PassTheCake82 Sat 25-Feb-17 12:49:46

Oh and lastly...our relatives don't really get it. They keep telling me what to do, e.g., "he's just a hungry baby, give him another bottle" - after 7-8oz (he's 7 weeks old) OR my pet hate, "right, put him down now" - as soon as he's had a feed and sleeps when
I'm trying to keep him upright.

It's so frustrating, I don't know how many times I've explained everything to them. I'm also reluctant to leave him with them for any length of time as I know they'll ignore my wishes. I've also had comments that suggest they don't believe he has reflux or that it exists as well as criticism around using medication. I honestly feel like telling them to fuck off half the time!

Cakescakescakes Sat 25-Feb-17 22:11:00

We had Losec MUPS which was a dissolvable table which you then gave via a syringe. It dissolves into little granules which clogged tears and syringes so I found the best way was to dissolve it on a teaspoon, drain any excess water, scoop the 'mush' off with my finger tip and put into the side of my baby's mouth. That way they actually swallow it. Omeprazole comes as a syrup too but it's vastly more expensive (£100+ per bottle so several times the price of the MUPS tablets), has to be refrigerated and has a very very short shelf life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now