Talk

Advanced search

Need help with pumping

(3 Posts)
miniloco Sun 19-Feb-17 08:21:38

My LO is 2 weeks old and I hit a brick wall with breastfeeding a couple of days ago. Each latch was painful and often both of us were screaming by the time I could latch her on. I developed a fear of each feed and each time I looked at her all I was thinking about was her next feed, hoping she wouldn't wake up. No tongue tie, had lots of support from breastfeeding team around tips on latching LO but my nipples are a mess (cuts/grazes/bruising). She was a small thing when born so I wonder now if that played a part. I am a bit of a mess emotionally now that it hasn't worked out, feel like a failure.
So now I am pumping. I haven't fully decided whether or not I am going to try relatching her. I had so prayed I wild be able to breastfeed but now I'm pumping I am getting more enjoyment from her.
But I feel like I haven't got a clue what to do about pumping! I have a medela swing, not ideal but I don't want to buy another pump. I'm pumping every 3hrs for 20mins each breast. But they're so engorged. Am I pumping for too long? I know engorgement isn't good for milk production. I'm not sure where to get advice about pumping from. Any tips/info greatly appreciated.

AssassinatedBeauty Sun 19-Feb-17 13:05:43

You can hire pumps, it might be an idea to hire a double pump as that would reduce the amount of time you're expressing for. Are your breasts still engorged after an expressing session? I would expect that they'd feel softer after 20 mins of expressing on each side.

Dueindecember2016 Tue 28-Feb-17 15:01:56

I use a hot wheat bag in my boobs to help when they are engorged. Makes a huge difference. I also hand express a little before using a pump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now