Talk

Advanced search

stopping breastfeeding - how long before the milk dries up and the pain goes???

(8 Posts)
skirmish Thu 01-Mar-07 09:05:52

i stopped bf on monday (last one sun night) and although it's not been too bad,more uncomfortable (have had mastitus- so understand boob pain )just sitting here now and have felt that 'filling' up feeling and now they have gone a little achy. think it's a bit too late for sage and don't think i'll be at shops today anyway...any other advice?
thx

Calliope Thu 01-Mar-07 09:12:10

It took me a good 10 days before my boobs finally deflated. I didn't find anything in particular helped ease the discomfort I'm afraid, I just had to put up with it.... sorry that's not much help is it!

ThisFrogIsGonnaWhoopYouAss Thu 01-Mar-07 09:13:58

I was once advised to put nappies in the freezer - they are great for soothing boob pain (obviously one must take them out of the freezer and put them in bra )

ledodgyDave Thu 01-Mar-07 09:15:11

I found wearing two bras at the same time helped or wearing a sports bra.

skirmish Thu 01-Mar-07 09:15:35

thanks for the advice...i use disposables, so not sure that would work so well

skirmish Thu 01-Mar-07 09:17:43

got a sports bra on, with an extra tight vest (pre baby days and when smoking so tiny and tight - the vest, not me !) must say, am looking forward to wearing nice underwear again (and treated myself yest!)

MuminBrum Thu 01-Mar-07 09:18:29

Took mine a week to settle down. A nice tight bra helped (although at that point Jordan's bra probably would have felt tight). Also a very little expressing just to relieve the worst of the pressure.

deaconblue Thu 01-Mar-07 13:06:19

I was in such agony the first two days that dh had to have a day off work coz it hurt too much to pick up ds. I would say it took a good week to feel better and about 10 days for them to be normalish. Avoid temptation to give them a squeeze to check if there's still milk, as I'm sure that was partly why mine took so long

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now