Talk

Advanced search

Milk hygiene in baby porridge

(5 Posts)
FraterculaArctica Fri 17-Feb-17 15:11:08

Have just bought some baby porridge to start weaning DD (yes, I know the arguments about it being unnecessary non-nutritious wallpaper paste!) Anyway, while looking at ingredients lists in various brands, I realised that many of them contain milk powder.

This got me wondering - how does the milk powder in baby porridge differ from formula, so that you don't need to make it up with water at 70C to kill any bugs?

(Asking in a spirit of scientific enquiry - I actually got a milk-free porridge as I'm mixing it with EBM anyway, and have never made up formula, but have followed threads on here about formula safety).

OP’s posts: |
Camomila Fri 17-Feb-17 22:08:23

hmmm no idea sorry grin I'd guess that maybe they still have a tiny risk of bacteria but as unlike formula the baby would at least be 4-6m old so the risk isn't so big? Complete guess though.

I just make myself porridge (rolled oats and whole milk) in the microwave and then scoop out a portion for DS.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 19-Feb-17 14:14:43

No idea sorry, we just misted ready Brek.

AlexanderHamilton Sun 19-Feb-17 14:18:50

Do you mean packet baby porridge?

I always made it up with boiling water from the kettle. It doesn't mix properly if you don't.

Snifftest Sun 19-Feb-17 18:56:58

Powdered milk is powdered cows milk. Formula is different.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in