Talk

Advanced search

Milk hygiene in baby porridge

(5 Posts)
FraterculaArctica Fri 17-Feb-17 15:11:08

Have just bought some baby porridge to start weaning DD (yes, I know the arguments about it being unnecessary non-nutritious wallpaper paste!) Anyway, while looking at ingredients lists in various brands, I realised that many of them contain milk powder.

This got me wondering - how does the milk powder in baby porridge differ from formula, so that you don't need to make it up with water at 70C to kill any bugs?

(Asking in a spirit of scientific enquiry - I actually got a milk-free porridge as I'm mixing it with EBM anyway, and have never made up formula, but have followed threads on here about formula safety).

Camomila Fri 17-Feb-17 22:08:23

hmmm no idea sorry grin I'd guess that maybe they still have a tiny risk of bacteria but as unlike formula the baby would at least be 4-6m old so the risk isn't so big? Complete guess though.

I just make myself porridge (rolled oats and whole milk) in the microwave and then scoop out a portion for DS.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 19-Feb-17 14:14:43

No idea sorry, we just misted ready Brek.

AlexanderHamilton Sun 19-Feb-17 14:18:50

Do you mean packet baby porridge?

I always made it up with boiling water from the kettle. It doesn't mix properly if you don't.

Snifftest Sun 19-Feb-17 18:56:58

Powdered milk is powdered cows milk. Formula is different.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now