Talk

Advanced search

Can you put a baby without reflux straight down after a feed?

(25 Posts)
blue2014 Sun 12-Feb-17 18:07:54

DS (10 weeks) has reflux, so in line with guidance I'm keeping him upright for around 30 mins after a feed.

He's been prescribed Zantac so hopefully it will go. If it does go, will I be able to put him back in his cot after a feed at night (waking for feeds is fine but the staying awake for 30 mins after is exhausting me as he wakes every 2 hours - just looking hopefully towards more sleep ...)

AuntiePenguin Sun 12-Feb-17 18:10:57

Yes if the Zantac works well it will be like he doesn't have reflux at all! In my experienxe though most reflux treatments help but don't totally fix the problem so you may find you still need to keep him upright for a while (eg ten minutes) but that he can then lay down.

Give him a few days to adjust to the Zantac then it's a case of experimenting and seeing what he can handle smile

SallyInSweden Sun 12-Feb-17 18:11:51

No!!!!!

The puke! The puke!

blue2014 Sun 12-Feb-17 20:22:04

Honestly sally? All babies puke if put straight down?

Swearwolf Sun 12-Feb-17 20:42:42

No, my second doesn't have reflux and I can put her straight down, she's never been a sicky baby. Ds was puking for well over a year!

Mermaid36 Sun 12-Feb-17 20:45:28

My twins can pretty much go straight down after a feed (breastfed). I wind them a little, make sure they are asleep and then they go back in their cot.
They've never had reflux or been sicky babies

Sephipops Sun 12-Feb-17 20:48:37

I used to be religious with the half an hour after a feed, then I discovered that I could lie her on her side after 15 minutes and not be worse the wear (on her back she would wake up immediately and scream). Slowly as she's got older it's evolved into the feed/sleep/hold upright routine and it takes about 20 minutes from start to finish. The only way to tell is to try. You might be fine, you might not. You'll work out tricks that help ☺️

EdenX Sun 12-Feb-17 20:52:38

I fed mine lying down so it wasn't an issue.

LoveMyLittleSuperhero Sun 12-Feb-17 20:52:55

My little ones 16 weeks old. If I lie her down (on her side or back) straight after a feed she cries and is sick, sadly its upright after each feed or feed again half hour later because she's thrown it all up here.

BendingSpoons Sun 12-Feb-17 20:53:38

I used to feed my DD lying down and put her straight back to sleep. I wouldn't even wind her at the beginning of the night (at the end of the night she was more windy). Fingers crossed it improves for you.

wrinkleseverywhere Sun 12-Feb-17 20:56:15

DC1 I would feed and put her straight back down on her back & she would either go back to sleep, coo or look at her mobile. I never learned how to wind a baby as I never needed to. Then I had DC2. He mainly slept in the baby bjorn bouncer as that was the most upright thing he could be in. It didn't stop him puking at regular intervals though!

plimsolls Sun 12-Feb-17 21:00:09

My baby is on ranitidine (Zantac) and I put her straight down after a feed. When she was littler (she's 6 months now) I used to burp her first.

Good luck. I used to find keeping her upright for 30 minutes after a night feed so painful too.

blue2014 Sun 12-Feb-17 23:24:30

For the lying down feeders - do you mean both of you lying down?

EdenX Mon 13-Feb-17 07:47:53

Yes, both lying down (and when they're a bit older you can sleep through night feeds).

Sephipops Mon 13-Feb-17 07:54:08

Lying down feeding never worked for me when my LG was small. It's only since she's been 7 months+ that I can get away with it. I would still have to hold her upright and catch the sick for half an hour. Now she's older I can get away without winding her, but we get dribbly sick towards the morning and a good projectile first thing.

Artandco Mon 13-Feb-17 08:01:54

How often are you feeding in the day? I would be aiming at 10weeks to feed him every 2hrs during the day (7am-10pm), then only feed every 4+hrs overnight. If he wakes after 2hrs settle without a feed. At 10weeks they shouldn't need feeding every 2hrs overnight if feeding often enough in the day.

If you have babies dad at home, get him to do the resettling after last 10pm feed, until next at 2am so you get a few hours sleep more.

During the day, do you have a decent sling? Feed, then baby upright in sling will allow you to be hands free to do things but baby still upright

BendingSpoons Mon 13-Feb-17 08:25:06

Yes I lie on my side with DD next to me so she just turns her head to feed. I wasn't co-sleeping so would still put her back in the basket afterwards but meant I could rest.

Sephipops Mon 13-Feb-17 09:02:32

If you're breastfeeding, then I would ignore what Artandco said about timings. I haven't formula fed, so I can't comment on that. But this article explains it brilliantly www.emmapickettbreastfeedingsupport.com/twitter-and-blog/the-dangerous-game-of-the-feeding-interval-obsession
If baby is hungry, feed baby. As adults we don't sit there going "oh, it's been 2 hours since my last cup of tea. I had better wait for another 2 until I can have a glass of water!" also, if your boobs feel full, feed baby. Boobs are a factory, not a warehouse. You won't run out of milk and you don't need to wait for them to refill.
But, getting dad to do the hold upright for half an hour is good, and a sling for daytime was my saviour!

Artandco Mon 13-Feb-17 09:33:56

Sephi - I breastfed. A baby fed unlimited on demand all day, breastfed or formula does not need feeding every 2hrs 11pm-7am.

WarblingWail Mon 13-Feb-17 09:34:59

I feed my baby lying down so we're both on our sides (breastfeeding). I've never held him upright because he's just been fed, but he rarely vomits so it's not something I have to worry about.

Artandco Mon 13-Feb-17 09:36:49

Sephi - if you read I was not advocating making baby wait at all during the day for a set time. But at 10 weeks old baby needs to not be fed every 2 hrs overnight as both baby and parent them aren't getting enough sleep. An almost 3 month old can go 8hrs without a feed overnight fine, hence I suggested OP start but reducing feeds from every 2 hrs, to every 4hrs from 11pm-7am as a starting point. If they have been fed unlimited 7am-10/11pm they will be sufficiently fed over 24hrs

Sephipops Mon 13-Feb-17 09:44:08

Art- tell that to my baby! Until a recently she would feed every 90 minutes day or night. She 8 months and has just started going longer at night...My friends baby was hourly until a month ago as well. She tried stretching it out and she had a screaming, miserable baby. At 10 weeks the baby is still well in the fourth trimester and milk supply will only just have settled. You naturally have more milk at night and it contains melatonin to help baby sleep!

Artandco Mon 13-Feb-17 10:10:17

But is that because you fed her every 90 mins all night? What would have happened if you fed 90mins all day, then 11pm-3pm your partner resettled her without feeding?
Sorry, but an 8month old may have been fed every 90mins all night, but they don't need that at all if they have been fed on demand 16 hours a day, they should be able to go 6-8hrs without a feed. It's habit at that point.

WilshireBoulevard Mon 13-Feb-17 10:21:14

I found what art said to be true. Dd fed loads during the day then cluster fed in the early evenings but managed at least six hours, usually more, overnight by about three months. Her sleep went to pot later but was nice while it lasted! I never planned things this way, she just fed on demand and found her own rhythm.

Sephipops Mon 13-Feb-17 11:31:27

Art- my partner would go in and see her and she wouldn't settle. Now she's older she will settle for him occasionally. It might have been a habit, but at 10 weeks it definitely wasn't! At 10 weeks she needed her mummy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now