Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding with pierced nipple?!

(7 Posts)
NurseJay Sat 11-Feb-17 19:03:47

Hi guys grin im still currently TTC and know for sure that I would like to breastfeed! I'm finding conflicting information on line and was just wondering if my pierced nipples may stop me or cause am issue for breastfeeding when the time comes? Thanks in advance! Jay✌✌✌

DearMrDilkington Sat 11-Feb-17 19:08:49

You'll have to take the piercing our won't you, otherwise surely it's a choking hazard. If that's what you mean, or are you wondering if it will affect feeding when the bar is removed?

10Betty10 Sat 11-Feb-17 19:12:59

I had to take my nipple piercings out by about 8 weeks pregnant as they git really uncomfortable and tender- so you may find that is the case for you anyway.

I'm now 18 weeks and the piercing holes are fully healed so breastfeeding won't be an issue- I think even unhealed piercing holes don't stop you BF anyway- you just may have leakage in more areas.

Hope that helps!

noodlmcdoodl Sat 11-Feb-17 21:14:10

I didn't take mine out until I started breastfeeding. It didn't cause any problems with supply, although the milk came out the hole where the piercing was (as well as from the rest of the nipple).

FreeWeezy Thu 16-Feb-17 13:07:29

Had to take mine out at about 20 weeks because they were so painful. Didn't cause any problems breastfeeding. The holes have now closed over though.
Definitely take them out if you're going to breastfeed or your baby could choke. Also it would probably hurt the inside of their mouth/throat.
Will probably have to take them out and keep them out for a while, newborns feed so frequently in the early months it would be way too much of a faff taking them out and putting them back in with every feed. And you wouldn't want to risk forgetting in your tired daze and hurt baby.
I still get sad sometimes about losing my piercings but to be honest my boobs are not what they once were anyway grin
Congratulations and good luck.

FreeWeezy Thu 16-Feb-17 13:09:18

Oops misread the op. Apologies for the preemptive congratulations.

FlashCrash Thu 16-Feb-17 20:55:09

I took mine out a year before baby was born. They were badly scarred from crap piercing and long healing.
I had problems feeding, but baby also had tongue tie and I had health problems early on.
Don't know how much it was the scarring or other stuff.
I am still feeding at 6months, but have never managed to exclusively bf.
Hope all goes well for you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now