Talk

Advanced search

Freezing colostrum

(8 Posts)
toomuchtimereadingthreads2016 Fri 10-Feb-17 11:54:23

Hi ladies, I posted this over in pregnancy a few days ago but think I might get more response here.

I'm 20w pregnant and have a lot of milk/colostrum dripping from me. Have to hand pump a little to alleviate discomfort.

Can I start freezing 5ml syringes for when my baby is born? Seems a waste to be pouring it down the sink, and a friend recently had an unexpectedly poorly baby who had to have surgery within days etc. so has got me thinking that just because I had smooth BF from the start with DD, its not a bad idea to plan for the worst just incase?

Also if I didn't need to use it, was within 6m of freezing and dated, could I donate what I had frozen to my hospital?

TIA xxxx

Stepparentadoptionadvice Fri 10-Feb-17 11:55:38

Yes you can my midwife told me to do that but don't force it just collect it

littledinaco Fri 10-Feb-17 13:43:55

Yes, you can definitely freeze it.

Not sure about donating, I think it varies between hospitals.

If you can't dontate, you can use for weaning (mix with porridge, etc). I'm sure guidelines are 12months to freeze for but it will definitely be fine in freezer for a long time.

bonnymnemonic Fri 10-Feb-17 14:09:14

Breastmilk is only recommended to be kept frozen for three months, so I imagine Colostrum to be the same.

I'd be very wary of doing anything to stimulate the milk ducts at this point, even just hand expressing for syringes. It releases oxytocin, which is also the hormone that kicks off labour. There is a small risk that you could bring on early labour.

Obviously any research into this specifically would be unethical, but even those with diabetes are not recommended to collect colostrum until they are 37 weeks'.

bonnymnemonic Fri 10-Feb-17 14:11:56

I was wrong! Six months in a regular home freezer, 12 months in a proper deep freeze.

CelticPromise Fri 10-Feb-17 14:14:22

It's 6 months for freezing, 12 months in a deep freeze I believe. I would do this - I expressed a bit for DD from about 35 weeks. There is a theoretical risk of stimulating early labour. I'd try hand expressing rather than pumping, you might be stimulating increased supply which you don't really want to at this stage.

toomuchtimereadingthreads2016 Fri 10-Feb-17 14:24:48

Hi ladies, thanks for the replies they have been really helpful. I totally agree about not wanting to encourage production/stimulation etc but wiht 0 stimulation I am soaking through breast pads and seriously uncomfortable.. I can get about 15ml in two hand "pumps", it is proper squirts rather than the droplets forming like I had with DD.

Side note, should I consult my midwife? Only just occurred to me that this isnt normal at 20w?

bonnymnemonic Fri 10-Feb-17 15:18:45

Just mention it at next appointment. Colostrum starts being produced from 16 weeks into pregnancy so it's not unusual to get leaks. Actual milk isn't produced until after delivery though obvs.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now