Talk

Advanced search

advice needed - 6 week-old and bf

(6 Posts)
midnightexpress Tue 27-Feb-07 16:01:15

Hi there - wonder if anyone can help. My 6.5wo is bf, gaining weight fine and generally OK, but seems very uncomfortable most of the time between feeds. He sleeps a lot during afternoon early evening and then often cluster feeds late evening/night (<sigh>). He's not really pooing very much at all either - I know this is common, but thought it was older babies who sometimes go days without a BM? Not days in his case, but today, for example, he's done just one v small poo. He's not very good at burping either, and just generally seems to be very uncomfortable - tight tuummy etc. OK when carried/in a sling, otherwise, erm, a bit miserable. Any advice anyone?

tinkerbellhadpiles Tue 27-Feb-07 16:49:40

Hiya

I'm partly bumping you up and partly answering.

When you say he feel uncomfortable do you mean he is visibly straining for a poo? Have you heard of anal stenosis? Some babies find it physically difficult to poo and a paediatrician can treat this (very easily actually).

Or if he is okay when upright but not lying down it could be reflux.

Not pooing in BF babies can mean that they are using up all the breastmilk and there simply isn't anything left over, as long as there are wet nappies, it's okay.

If I were in your shoes, I'd keep a note of things for a week and take it to the GP and just explain your concerns. If nothing else to put your mind at ease.

shonaspurtle Tue 27-Feb-07 17:39:19

I think ds was this age when he started pooing about once every 2/3 days. Is normal and nothing to worry about.

Hope someone else can help you with the discomfort - infacol?

tiktok Tue 27-Feb-07 17:56:40

If your baby is fine when carried in a sling, and a bit miserable when not......sounds to me simply like a baby who lurrrrrrvvvvves his mummy

(Tight tummy means nothing, BTW)

FloatingInSpace Tue 27-Feb-07 18:00:24

Sounds pretty much like dd used to be at that age.

Actually I gave up winding her altogether as it was so difficult to get her to burp, plus she would fall asleep nicely when feeding & trying to wind her would just wake her up!

She used to fart like a trooper in her sleep!

midnightexpress Tue 27-Feb-07 18:34:04

Thanks very much for the help ladies. Am much reassured that this is kind of normal. Think I may be slightly paranoid as bf didn't work out with DS1, so not as confident as I could be with DS2.

Have 6 week check next week so will maybe mention it to GP (who is actually a bit useless, but you never know...) if things still the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now