Talk

Advanced search

How do you settle after a feed??

(13 Posts)
Bex134 Sun 05-Feb-17 00:30:02

i could do with some more ideas of how to settle newborn after a feed - what's working for you??

I find DS (19days old) either falls asleep during feed or is wide awake and restless.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 05-Feb-17 08:25:02

If he's wide awake, does he need more milk? What's he doing? If you are bfing, I'd stick him back on the first side again, if he's being ff, will he take another ounce?

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 05-Feb-17 08:26:17

Just seen the time you posted and with your DS being so tiny, he probably just wants to be held smile

Bex134 Sun 05-Feb-17 11:35:30

Thanks both, more feeding and cuddles does help I guess I was looking to ways that would mean I could sleep too!

DonkeyOaty Sun 05-Feb-17 11:40:30

Hi Bex. It can help to adjust your expectations - new babies are notorious for short sleeps and wanting to be held (ask me how I know!) So if you expect pretty much no sleep unless you can hand baby over to partner/grandparents then an hour of snoozing for you is like a bullseye.

I promise you this intense period of sleep deprivation will soon pass so stock up on snacks and ready meals, bagged salads, easy to open and eat one-handed stuff.

Congratulations!

DonkeyOaty Sun 05-Feb-17 11:42:50

Can I say to Julie - you are SO supportive on the feeding boards, you truly illuminate what Mumsnet is all about.

flowers

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 05-Feb-17 19:30:56

Thank you blush

@Bex134 hope you are stocked up on snacks and drinks and box sets for tonight, and there's always MN smile

Macauley Sun 05-Feb-17 19:50:20

I'm still experimenting with what works but when I've put her back down after a feed at night I put on either Ewan the dream sheep on or white noise from you tube. Also at night feeds I use the torch light on my phone rather than putting lights on and keep everything quiet.

Bex134 Sun 05-Feb-17 20:17:08

Thanks Julie. We're just having cuddles- little one has a very full tummy from looking at it so I think his grumbles are about that.

I have my snacks ready upstairs smile were there any snacks you found good when you were feeding? I'm not usually much of a snacker (other than biscuits!) but trying not to eat biscuits... although it is tempting!

DonkeyOaty Sun 05-Feb-17 21:34:20

My babies are teens now but flapjack squares for longer energy, small oranges like clementines are refreshing for your mouth and easy to handle iyswim, water in a sports type bottle for spillage avoidance. Biscuits and cake of course too!

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 06-Feb-17 07:28:04

I'm perhaps the wrong one to ask as I think I mainly survived on cake grinblush

FuckTheDailyMail Mon 06-Feb-17 13:28:59

Could he be windy? DD was a nightmare to burp when she was tiny. She'd conked out during most feeds (until I'd try and put her down...) but if she was restless it was usually a sign she was storing up gas!

hethajf Mon 06-Feb-17 16:04:25

I used a hot water bottle to keep the Moses basket warm whilst I fed DD and then she tended to stay asleep if she'd fallen asleep on me. If she was awake, she was awake and I just held her and stared at her smile miss those early days, I know everyone says it but really make the most of it and soak it all in!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now