Talk

Advanced search

Experiences selling breast milk

(18 Posts)
NotSureYet Sat 04-Feb-17 19:39:22

I've got a 9 week old DD who won't take expressed milk in a bottle. I'm looking to sell the milk (about 130 ounces) and was wondering what experiences any of you have had doing the same and how you went about it. I've had a look at the only the breast website but some of the listing look like spam. Has anyone sold through that site?

NotSureYet Sat 04-Feb-17 23:18:03

Bump. Anyone?

TheJiminyConjecture Sat 04-Feb-17 23:19:32

Why would you want to sell it? And who would you imagine would buy it?

Xmasbaby11 Sat 04-Feb-17 23:19:51

No. I don't think you can do this.

MrsNuckyThompson Sat 04-Feb-17 23:26:31

I'm pretty sure this isn't legal. Maybe you could look to donate it but even then you'd have to be screened I believe.

tobecontinued2000 Sat 04-Feb-17 23:29:00

Could you donate to a nicu unit?

Hugepeppapigfan Sat 04-Feb-17 23:32:03

Yikes. Sell it?! I donated some of my BM to a mum/baby in need but didn't even consider selling it.

Only1scoop Sat 04-Feb-17 23:33:01

Odd

Formidabbadoo Sat 04-Feb-17 23:33:20

I believe there is a market among body builders so you could try googling muscle forums. But if you are interested in donating there's Human Milk for Human Babies (Facebook)

Pigeonpost Sat 04-Feb-17 23:33:45

wtf? I donated to the local hospital but had to have blood tests before. do not sell it.

Waterfeature Sat 04-Feb-17 23:34:57

You can sell it (though I don't know where -- Gumtree?) I think adult cancer patients may buy it. Be warned though, so do fetishists.

NotSureYet Sat 04-Feb-17 23:40:32

I think it must be more of a thing in the US. I grew up there and heard of women selling their milk. Think you're right about the fetishists too, there was a whole section of men looking to set up arrangements with lactating mothers for "direct feeding". Maybe the milk just stays in the freezer for now...

FartnissEverbeans Sun 05-Feb-17 03:49:46

Yes, it's a big thing in the US. Most of the milk for sale has been found to be contaminated though.

If I were you I'd donate it to a NICU.

Waterfeature Tue 07-Feb-17 16:34:18

Just be warned that NICUs have very strict rules now about collection and screening. You have to wash your breasts before expressing and then use their containers. You also need to be screened for HIV before they will accept it. Finally, I'm not sure if they accept frozen milk. (I donated years ago -- they may have changed the rules since then.)

littledinaco Tue 07-Feb-17 19:44:13

Look at human milk for human babies.

If you keep in the freezer, you can use for weaning (use to make porridge, pancakes, etc).

TheClacksAreDown Tue 07-Feb-17 21:06:22

I donated to a milk bank. There were initial blood tests but aside from that just sterilising the pump parts, not donating whilst I'll and keeping freezer below -18c. They happily took freezer stash in my own bags. they provided bottles once set up but otherwise no requirements such as breast washing! Look for your closest here www.ukamb.org I donated to St Thomas's in London.

Or failing that human milk for human babies as described above for peer donation.

RandomMess Tue 07-Feb-17 21:09:07

When you donate to a hospital though I think they pasteurise it to it's safer for the premmies???

I know the hospitals sometimes sell it to other hospitals was £130 a litre 11 years ago!!!

TheClacksAreDown Tue 07-Feb-17 22:32:02

Yes they do pasteurise it. There is also an intra hospital trade with those who don't have their own milk banks. The prices are extremely high and whilst they are getting the milk itself for free the other costs are substantial in terms of manpower to run the bank, blood tests, couriers, bottles etc. It all mounts up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now