Talk

Advanced search

Large boob advice

(20 Posts)
BecauseICanandIwill Wed 01-Feb-17 09:08:36

Hiya, wondered if anyone has any advice on breastfeeding with large boobs. I found feeding my first baby really hard as I have large boobs and they would smoother her. I have friends with smaller boobs who look so comfortable feeding. I wonder if anyone had found a great supportive feeding bra which helps to keep the breast from covering the babies nose or any handy advice. I gave up feeding in public at 6 weeks as I was too embarrassed with all the faffing I had to do to help her feed. Then stopped completely at 3 months due to finding it so uncomfortable. I would like to find a better way if there is one?
Thankyou

PurpleMcPants Wed 01-Feb-17 09:13:34

I breastfed mine with enormaboobs (think I went up to a K cup at one point, normally a GG) and it was fine. If the baby is in the correct position, they should have their nose well clear, it sounds like your angling may have been off. What I did was line them up, nose to nipple, then when they latch on, they naturally have to tilt their head backwards to get their mouth in line and that brings the nose away from the breast.
Once latched you can also just shift their body to whichever side you are not feeding on a little and that also tilts their head back.

SansaClegane Wed 01-Feb-17 09:20:06

I went up to a K cup too while breastfeeding. It's a bit trickier, especially early on when they get rock hard from engorgement. My midwife showed me how to 'pinch' my boob close to the nipple a bit to make latching on easier, you're basically segmenting your boob to make it fit. Once baby is latched on, it's easy to shift position of their body and face so they can breathe.
As for doing it in public, I always did it by pulling up my top (rather than pulling down) so most of the boob was still covered.

BecauseICanandIwill Wed 01-Feb-17 09:22:02

Sorry can I ask too much info, my boobs are very saggy they don't sit pert they hang low on my chest and without a bra on are uncomfortable when I would then latch her with most positions they would fall on her face and the advice the midwife gave was hold the boob in one hand and her with the other. It became quite the task as she got larger and I just became very frustrated and uncomfortable. I'm not ashamed I stopped but would have like to have been more comfortable which may have lead to feeding her longer!!

SansaClegane Wed 01-Feb-17 15:03:04

Well, at home that should be easy enough - I'd settle down with a sofa cushion next to me on the feeding side, and sort of 'rest' the boob on that! Out and about, you can try and wedge your arm under the boob whilst also holding baby (does that make sense??) but I always sought out places where I could lean my arm on something to support the boob.
I managed to feed all mine until 13 months and they were huge and wriggly, so it is possible. TBH I always found the first few weeks the hardest even though they are still quite docile at that age.
Oh another one I just remembered, have a few muslin cloths with you, then you can bunch one up and wedge under the boob, again it's almost the same effect as holding the boob up with your hand.

FreeWeezy Wed 01-Feb-17 17:20:52

I am so glad I have saggy boobs because now dd is heavier I can just lay her across my lap, place her head in the crook of my elbow and my nipple reaches her mouth without me having to lift her. It took me a good 4 months to figure it out and breastfeeding support groups were very helpful. I think the best thing to do is: sit comfortably and let your breast hang naturally. Then place baby in a way so that you don't need to hold or position your breast. A midwife told me that they only need a very small space to breathe and they will tilt their head back to accommodate that. As long as you don't press baby's head into the breast, you shouldn't smother them smile good luck.

PhyllisStein89 Wed 01-Feb-17 18:00:57

I had a similar problem - I've always had really saggy boobs. I found a slightly padded, under wired bra in a balconette style worked well because I just pulled my boob out the top and then rested it on the folded over cup like a shelf blush

MarjorySunshineDust Wed 01-Feb-17 18:58:30

I find a muslin stuffed under my 34j boobs works wonders at lifting them a bit, it makes feeding much more comfortable. Hang in there, it's so much easier when they get a bit bigger and more in control of themselves!

I also wear a vest with a looser top over it, so I can pull one up and the other down. No boob flashing that way!

pilou Wed 01-Feb-17 19:26:49

I found My Brest Friend feeding cushion invaluable with my size Ls! You clip it round you and it will prop you up beautifully. I used at home all the time. Night feeds I did lying down after the tiny baby stage. Take a pillow or ask for a cushion when you're out and I agree with PP about pulling your shirt up from the bottom - very discreet. Fed #1 for 21 months and #2 still going at 16 months.

MarjorySunshineDust Thu 02-Feb-17 11:42:44

Oh yes once you crack feeding lying down it's much easier and more restful at night.

SnackSnackEatAndCrave Thu 02-Feb-17 13:19:08

My midwife said just sit up straight and let your boobs hang free! grin Found it easier straight away, at least easier than trying to prop up my J cups with one hand and a newborn in the other.
In the hospital we were lucky that DD latched straight away, but I struggled with holding my boobs out of her face so we had to have quite a bit of help in the beginning blush I had to use one finger just to hold my boobs away from tiny baby nostrils so she could breathe in the early days but after a few weeks she was holding on for herself. 10 months and still going strong... Definitely second wearing a top with a vest underneath for a one up one down public feeding outfit.

DreamsOfWaves Sat 04-Feb-17 08:35:59

32H here...have always been the same size. I have a boppy feeding pillow and DS just lies across that with boob also resting on it; seems to work. Sometimes, like PP, I stuff a balled up muslin to the size to wedge the boob in a little. I've also had to use my hand/thumb to hold boob away from baby's nose to avoid suffocation! Not always though? Must just be to do with the angle. Due to size of boobs (and also reflux), I find BF in public a little tricky but I do 'one up one down', which seems to minimise flashing. Glad you're not beating yourself up about giving BF a rest...you have to do what works for you both!

DreamsOfWaves Sat 04-Feb-17 08:36:29

*side not size

ovenchips Sat 04-Feb-17 08:53:15

Hi OP. Sounds like you are doing a brilliant job. I remember those first few weeks were difficult at times trying to work out what would work for baby and me and these mahoosive norks. I do think it's harder than having a small, neat breast that a baby can just pop onto. I found first few weeks with both babies pretty hard going but then it improved and became ridiculously convenient.

Agree with others' advice. A feeding pillow was a godsend (also a Boppy one I think) as it propped up baby and breast. I used to pack my pillow in car boot and take it just about everywhere with me esp when children were new babies.

Lying down feeds, once I got hang of them, were brilliant. I think for this position the larger the breast the better, as babies don't have to reach forward to latch on.smile

Best of luck to you and congratulations on your new baby.

Girlwhowearsglasses Sat 04-Feb-17 09:55:09

Op I went up to a K and had twins. You can get an inflatable cushion for twins that like a shelf around you - I used this when they were tiny.

I also used loads of positions - look up the 'rugby tackle' and also try lying down on your side.

For the avoidance of embarrassment I found a stretchy vest top and bliusebworked best - blouse up vest down

LotisBlue Sat 04-Feb-17 10:00:14

Congratulations on your baby.

My boobs went to a k cup when my milk came in, and I had tiny tiny babies. So I understand your pain. Did you know that babies ' nostrils are shaped so that they can breathe through the little channels at the side even when they are buried in your boob? So you can't actually suffocate them.

I found a feeding pillow really helpful in the early days. Once we got the hang of it feeding lying down was best. Big saggy boobs mean that I can feed from both sides without rolling over grin

billabye Sat 04-Feb-17 10:21:51

No further advice but it's nice to know there are some other bf mothers with giant boobs. I'm also a K at the moment blush and have been feeling like some sort of freak given the lack of bras available in my size! I've not dared to feed in public yet (8 week old) but am maybe going to try in TGI Friday's today.

CelticPromise Sat 04-Feb-17 10:27:24

You can get little wedge pillows to put under your boob, that might help or a rolled up muslin/towel might do the job.

kmmr Sat 04-Feb-17 10:30:21

I'd forgotten about this! I used to be so afraid of suffocating him I would use my other hand to constantly pull the boob back from his nose. My son was only 2kg, and when my milk came in with flat nipples, it was trying to latch onto a passing moon! Nipple shields got us started finally, and at about 10 or 12 weeks I stopped and he transitioned fine.

YouAndMeAreGoingToFallOut Sun 05-Feb-17 22:58:29

A rolled up muslin (a really good quality thick one) under the breast helps me. When my DD was really tiny though it was a nightmare and I needed both hands for every feed. It gets easier as they grow bigger.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now