Talk

Advanced search

Crying when burping / sick

(4 Posts)
user1484920171 Tue 31-Jan-17 18:19:24

Hi I'm a FTM to a gorgeous, very hungry 9wk old ds. He is mainly formula fed with 1-2 breastfeeds a day. I'd really like some advice re his feeding.
He screams when I stop the bottle to burp him. Growls, head bobs violently, kicks his legs. Ive read that this can be common, but it's upsetting and stressful and I'm getting embarrassed to feed him in public.
I spent a bit of time worried about him overfeeding (usually 180ml per bottle) and he very rarely seems satisfied. At the end of some feeds he needs distracting or a dummy to prevent him screaming for more. He will get milk drunk but if can be a bit of a delayed reaction.
He's also pretty sick and it seems to be getting worse. I know some is to be expected. It's after a burp and can be quite large amounts, but also can be sometime later. He does give signs of trapped wind - grimacing, going red in face, wind smiles too. Does this sound like reflux? We have just started on infacol but it could be too early to see results. I'm getting a bit fed up with the smell and clothes changes.
Could the crying when burping be making the sick worse? Any advice on all of this would be greatly appreciated thanks.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 31-Jan-17 20:14:00

Could he be feeding for comfort user. It's hard to diagnose over the Internet but this could be CMPA. Have a read of this from Allergy UK and see what you think. Overfeeding for comfort could be a sign smile

FartnissEverbeans Tue 07-Feb-17 08:51:30

It sounds very much like reflux. Sounds like she's bringing up acid when he burps (this happens to mind sometimes). Poor wee guy. We use Zantac and it helps a lot.

user1490081959 Tue 21-Mar-17 18:57:30

How have you gotten on now, two months later?

I'm currently in a similar position with my 3 month old little lovely. She previously did this when EBF and also now she is mixed feeding. It's really disheartening and the advice I've been given so far is to try "Comfort" formula milk, which she's been on for 10days- no changes in behaviour though. Still arching back, stretching legs and bending knees, with lots of uncomfortable grizzles and cries.

Any progress for you? Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now