Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Colief drops!

(10 Posts)
LMGirl Tue 31-Jan-17 08:41:49

My daughter is 4 week old and im struggling to give her colief drops. She feeds every 2 hours during the day and by the time i get her settled its time to feed again so im getting no time to express my breast milk to give it her. When i do manage to give her some she just screams because she doesnt understand why im trying to give her a spoon. Ive tried putting it in a bottle which she takes but dont want her to get used to it and forget how to latch on. Plus its such a faff trying to give her them at every feed! I was thinking about giving her them through the mouth during a feed once her throat is coated in milk?? Any ideas or tips would be helpful!!

2014newme Tue 31-Jan-17 08:47:26

I don't think you can do that it has to be mixed in the milk.
We used colief I remember it being a faff as had to prep the bottle 20 mins before. Also was on gaviscon, infacol and ranitidine. We were on formula at this stage I had stopped expressing

LMGirl Tue 31-Jan-17 08:56:05

Ive tried infacol and it didnt work. Weve had gaviscon too because i was told she had reflux. Just cant win. Sounds like you were in the same situation as i am in now. Well im going to try giving them orally today to see if they work and if not ill have to keep expressing and maybe try a syringe? If neither work out then ill have to put her on formula.

hethajf Tue 31-Jan-17 15:19:24

Someone will probably tell me off for this but... I gave them to my DD straight into her mouth just before a feed. They still worked because they still got mixed in with the milk and she didn't seem to mind the taste of them at all. If I tried to use a spoon it just ended up all over her clothes!

hethajf Tue 31-Jan-17 15:20:46

PS another option could be a calpol syringe?

LMGirl Tue 31-Jan-17 19:10:17

Ive been putting them on my nipples after the few first sucks and shes taken them no problem. Ive only put two drops on though. Did you give the full 4 in her mouth??

hethajf Tue 31-Jan-17 19:36:54

Yep, straight in. I did mention it to the health visitor or midwife, I can't remember which, and she said that she knew of plenty of breastfeeding mothers who put the drops straight in but obviously she wasn't allowed to be seen to encourage it because it goes against the manufacturers instructions (she didn't discourage it either though)!

LMGirl Wed 01-Feb-17 03:32:50

Ahh brilliant. Well putting them on my nipples, which is the same thing, seems to be working so im going to carry on with that. Thank you both very much for your help! Have you ever accidently given your LO more than 4 drops? Just wondering as it is hard to see via a night light and incase i do it. I cant see anything on their website about it.

hethajf Wed 01-Feb-17 11:33:51

I'm sure I did on occasion although it's so expensive for such a tiny bottle I really tried not to! I'm quite sure that if there were any danger of injury or nasty side effects it wouldn't be on the market and available for such tiny babies though... It is after all an enzyme that our bodies naturally produce anyway xx

LMGirl Wed 01-Feb-17 22:09:35

Yeah youre right. First time mum so i over think everything!! Ive been putting 2 to 4 drops on my nipple after the first few sucks and its working a treat!!! Ive got it on prescription luckily.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now