Talk

Advanced search

Diarrhoea = lactose intolerance?

(9 Posts)
hethajf Mon 30-Jan-17 14:12:32

Hi everyone, my DD is 11 months old this week and I've decided, awful as it sounds, I'm 'done' with breastfeeding. There haven't been any problems, I've just had enough of it and will be returning to (shift) work soon and I think it will be better all round to have her on formula.
For the past week, I've cut breastfeeding down to just the morning feed, and in the night if she wakes but that's quite rare. All other milk feeds are formula. Coinciding with this change, there is ALOT of poo all of a sudden and 1 in 3 of those poos are very watery, sometimes a bit yellowy. She's well in herself and is still eating and drinking as usual so I'm sure it's directly related to the additional formula. Should I try her on a different brand of formula or is it more likely to be a lactose intolerance?

hethajf Mon 30-Jan-17 14:16:07

I should have mentioned, she was exclusively breastfed for 6 months. Following this she started having a bottle of formula if we were out and about but was breastfed for all other feeds. She's been absolutely fine with the formula feeds, usually 1 per day, up until this point.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 31-Jan-17 16:21:27

Please don't feel that you have to apologise on here for stopping bfing, there is nothing to apologise for smile

Are there any other sypmtoms like flatulence and tummy swelling?

CelticPromise Tue 31-Jan-17 16:26:38

Breastmilk contains lactose so it's not likely to be that. Maybe she's just getting used to digesting something different. Try another brand if you like, they are all quite similar though. It's not long until she can drink cow's milk.

dementedpixie Tue 31-Jan-17 16:29:31

Breastmilk is full of lactose so unlikely to be that. It could just be the sudden change or could be issues with cows milk protein (lactose is the sugar in the milk)

Heirhelp Tue 31-Jan-17 16:33:31

My DD developed lactose intolerance as a result of a tummy bug. She would have watery poos, as in both her and myself would need an outfit change about an hour after having a bottle.

It sounds like it was a very quick change (no judgement at all, I only managed 6 week bf) and her body is just getting used to something different.

hethajf Tue 31-Jan-17 19:47:05

I guess it probably was a bit too quick thinking about it, she only has 4 feeds a day and with one of those already being formula I thought it would be a simpler transition than it has been. She has been quite windy too, hard to tell if she's bloated really because she's quite a slim baby and has always got a bit of a pot belly after any milk or solid food... But maybe she's been getting bloated all along?! shock interesting suggestion about the milk protein, her dad can't have any dairy whatsoever... I wonder if it's hereditary??
It's been almost a week now since I've upped the formula, not sure wether to leave it a bit longer seeing as she doesn't seem to be in any discomfort...

hethajf Tue 31-Jan-17 19:54:41

Just another thought, is it possible I could be letting her have too much formula? I don't like the idea of restricting her milk I take but I imagine it comes out of the bottle far easier than it does my boob so maybe she's having too much too quickly? Or would it just come straight back up? Sorry for so many questions!

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 31-Jan-17 19:57:49

Yes CMPA can he heredity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now