Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Concerned about nursing strike

(5 Posts)
celeryeater Mon 30-Jan-17 03:25:40

My 8mo DD has a really nasty cold and is teething quite badly. She took one good feed yesterday around lunchtime but the next time I came to feed her she kept opening her mouth then screaming and pushing away from me. Since then she has refused to nurse altogether. I managed to get her to take some milk from a cup about 6.30pm but she hasn't had any since. She doesn't eat loads at the moment and I'm a bit concerned if she is getting enough food/liquids. At night she usually wants to feed every 2-3 hours but tonight she won't take anything. If she even sees my breast she screams and pushes away from me. What should I do?

MrsNuckyThompson Mon 30-Jan-17 03:52:04

Don't panic for a start. I rarely want to eat if I have a bad cold and am sure she just feels the same. Keep trying her little and often and if you need to use a cup, fine. Try to relieve the cold symptoms and am sure she'll be back usual soon!

celeryeater Mon 30-Jan-17 04:28:56

Thank you, I do have the tendency to panic! Have given her calpol and ibuprofen (not at the same time) and she's currently snuffling asleep next to me. Now I just wish I could sleep!

AppleMagic Mon 30-Jan-17 04:36:33

I think they find breastfeeding scary when they have a blocked nose because it makes them feel like they can't breathe. I'd try using saline spray (and maybe a snot sucker) before feeding.
Don't panic. Just give more solids, try milk in a cup etc. Your supply won't be affected by a few days fussiness and I'm sure she'll go back to feeding once her nose is clearer.

celeryeater Mon 30-Jan-17 06:59:44

Her nose isn't constantly blocked just very snotty. I think it might have been more her teeth hurting that put her off. She really seems affected this time. It just worries me how much she freaks out when she sees my breast, usually a breastfeed makes everything better so I guess I am feeling at a bit of a loss of what to do!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now