Talk

Advanced search

My ds doesn't seem interested in his milk

(11 Posts)
RachSt12 Fri 27-Jan-17 14:56:54

For the last three weeks my son has become increasingly fussy when feeding, he sleeps through the night, he always has done so has no night feed.
He usually has around 650-750mls a day, he's nearly 6 months old (3month corrected).
The last few weeks he started only taking milk if I distracted him and the last week he screams and gets very angry, but then takes it. The last couple of days he's just not interested at all. He does eventually but I'm struggling to get 500mls in him.
He is weeing and pooing, and apart from the feeding, seems happy in himself.
I just don't understand why he's not hungry... I'm so stressed that he will be dehydrated from this. Any other mummies help me?

DonkeyOaty Fri 27-Jan-17 15:10:18

Have you tried a faster flow teat?

mistermagpie Fri 27-Jan-17 15:15:14

I think this is a phase to be honest, my DS was the same at about the same age. I tried different teats and bottles but he still wasn't interested. He eventually started feeding normally again after a couple of weeks.

He is 18 months now and still goes through phases of about a week where he refuses to eat. i think he must be starving but it doesn't seem to affect his sleep or demeanor. It's like he's just not hungry!

RachSt12 Fri 27-Jan-17 15:27:50

Thanks for the suggestion Donkeyoake, I have and bottles but no change confused

RachSt12 Fri 27-Jan-17 15:28:28

Thats interesting to know, I hope it is with him too, allsorts goes through your mind doesn't it!

CheeseFiend36 Fri 27-Jan-17 16:03:54

Is he teething? Mine has never been a huge drinker but he went off it massively when his first teeth were coming through at about 6 months. He still doesn't take a lot now but he's weaned fully so I try to aim for the 17-20 oz a day that they recommend (which we are just about managing). I have to stick the bottle in his mouth when he is half asleep just before his naps as he just won't take it when he's wide awake. You could try that?
If you are worried, my health visitor gave me a bottle of NHS Healthy Start vitamin drops which you can give to your baby if they have less than 500ml a day. They compensate for the vitamins they are losing from the lack of milk and will help to put your mind to rest that he is getting the nutrients he needs to develop during this period

RachSt12 Fri 27-Jan-17 16:16:43

Thanks cheesefiend, it has crossed my mind, the only other sign Is slightly rosey cheeks, does that sound likely?
I have some bonjela I'll give that a go.
Thank you x

CheeseFiend36 Fri 27-Jan-17 16:19:14

Yes definitely. Mine was also very dribbly, and weirdly enough a bit of a snotty nose, which I have heard can be a symptom

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Fri 27-Jan-17 16:21:22

My ds was around this age when he started going off bottles completely. Have you tried him with a sippy cup at all? He loved the ones with a hard spout from boots but this time around I've discovered munchkin cups which are good too.

FairyAnn Fri 27-Jan-17 16:23:18

Apparently I was exactly like this as a baby. Doctor said as long as I was happy in myself and taking water occasionally, my mum shouldn't worry smile

RachSt12 Fri 27-Jan-17 16:37:20

Thank you for your replies.

Bernards- I've brought one but not tried it yet, il give it a go- thank you x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now