Talk

Advanced search

Bottle recommendations for giving EBM to a mainly directly boob fed baby

(18 Posts)
CoffeeCoffeeAndLotsOfIt Wed 25-Jan-17 22:52:52

Hi all

My dd is 4 months old. She's ebf.

I've been out a few times and Dh has attempted to give her a bottle of ebm but she doesn't really get on with it.

What bottles do you recommend that are as boob like as possible iykwim?

She also has a habit of gulping down air which makes her windy. Medela calma is what we currently have along with some teats we were given by the hospital when she was firstborn.

Thanks all :-)

CoffeeCoffeeAndLotsOfIt Thu 26-Jan-17 08:11:14

Anyone?

PicnicPie Thu 26-Jan-17 08:15:50

I used the medela swing and got the bottles to feed with but ended up getting MAM self sterilising ones which my baby much preferred and easily went from breast to bottle for 9 months. Check them out.

billabye Thu 26-Jan-17 08:27:13

I use dr browns with no problems but I've heard good things about the NUK bottles with latex teats for breastfed babies.

CoffeeCoffeeAndLotsOfIt Thu 26-Jan-17 10:16:19

Thanks both

Shanster Fri 27-Jan-17 02:28:39

tomee tipee 'closer to nature' bottles are meant for breast fed babies, my DS prefers them to other bottles.

MadamWillYouTalk Fri 27-Jan-17 02:46:30

We also used the Tommee Tippee closer to nature for both girls when they had the odd ebm bottle when small. They both guzzled it down smile

MadamWillYouTalk Fri 27-Jan-17 02:50:09

And they both needed much more frequent burping during a bottle feed, I just assumed it was normal.

firsttimemum15 Fri 27-Jan-17 03:03:35

Nuk only one she would attempt

Brown76 Fri 27-Jan-17 03:10:21

Used the closer to nature as well. Also you could cup feed or teaspoon feed in a pinch/if you don't want to waste the milk. Videos on you tube and have tried it myself.

Brown76 Fri 27-Jan-17 03:11:39

Oh and just keep offering a little regularly (daily?) in bottle to give her a chance to get used to it.

Orangebird69 Fri 27-Jan-17 03:35:03

Medela calma teats are awful imo. Mams anti colic self sterilising bottles are fab.

TheMasterNotMargarita Fri 27-Jan-17 03:59:51

Another vote for MAM. Got a pack from TK Max x.
DS had his first bottle at around 8 weeks. No issue at all after stressing out about it.
Wish I'd realised with DD who refused bottles for ages (we had Tommee Tippee ones for her). I thought all bottles were the same confused.

Eminado Fri 27-Jan-17 04:06:19

NUK with latex teats for DD1.

Haven't head the energy to try yet with DD2.

Avebury Fri 27-Jan-17 07:52:59

Another vote for Nuk bottles although only DC1 was prepared to take boob and bottle, the other two refused a bottle point blank despite my extensive collection of different types of teat.

littledinaco Fri 27-Jan-17 08:03:54

Have a read/get DH to read about paced feeding. It might help with her gulping down air. This is quite good:

kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/feeding-tools/bottle-feeding/

CoffeeCoffeeAndLotsOfIt Fri 27-Jan-17 10:18:58

Great - thanks everyone :-)

I'll get my husband to look at the paced feeding link

CityMole Fri 27-Jan-17 12:40:29

We used dr browns but after tolerating a bottle for months, when he turned 8 months he had a bottle strike (just as I went back to work, yippee) so now he is cup fed if I am not there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now