Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

9month old combo fed starting to just want boob!

(8 Posts)
littlemummyfoofoo Tue 24-Jan-17 11:03:57

Hello, I'm a ftm,
So my LO started with great weight gain (over and about his intial weight in first week) being BF and I was super confident. Then a breastfeeding MW said I wasn't getting as deep latch as I might. I went through several breastfeeding clinics lost my confidence and my LO's latch seemed to get worse..LO would slip down to my nipple on one boob. I had LO at home and had far too many visitors and repeat visitors all holding LO for extended time and not enough time holding LO myself. After 2 weeks my supply had not 'come in properly' - no giant boobs ..even though I was pumping/massaging etc. (nappies were wet not sodden) Eventually, after talking to a HW who was a little pleased i had been told by the dr to stay in bed for 2 days with lo as I had mastitis - told me if it was up to her only mum's would hold their babies for the first week so their milk would come in properly and their be less issues.She thought my lack of milk was due to too many people holding baby. I had not wanted to look like a clingy mum and let people hold lo for ages.
Anyway, I decided to do boob/express then formula. I took heart in the fact my DH had a friend at work who's milk came in at 10 weeks has said to tell me to keep at it..and found info on women who were able to breast feed even just from the nipple..or with one boob..in effect I had a boob and a half !!. My milk slowly increased. At about 14 weeks i actually ached for the first time and knew lo was going to feed! It was hard to tell how much breast milk lo was getting..as my lo got bigger - LO drank more formula but also started doing the -look at me -open-mouth-milk- dribble thing on my boob..so I was happier!! (very proud) so I stopped worry.... confident as Lo's weight increased with each weigh in and even moved up percentiles. I always let my baby stay on my boobs till finished to keep up milk supply. Even with onlookers saying- my boob was a pacifier. ..so what? Was been my response. I know my let down is slow ..
Anyway, now we're are 10 months. My LOL has suddenly started refusing the bottle and only wanting the boob! I wouldn't mind but it's for hours at night! Sucking till they hurt. It's been a few nights and I was hoping my milk would increase, previously if it got to that stage id give a bottle and LOL would feed until full and then go back on my boob to sleep, no sucking. (I know but im fine with that) Now my baby wont take another bottle ..I'm hoping it's a phase as LO is just sucking like crazy!
Anyone had this issue?

we are doing BLW (properly with the books) ..he poops twice a day, wees loads lovely big wet naps and eats like a horse. 3 meals a day ... I wonder if this has anything to do with it.

insertimaginativeusername Tue 24-Jan-17 11:07:51

No advice but just to say I'm in the same position at the moment. 9 month old, eating very well, now combi fed for my phased return to work and has starting "feasting" (as the HV described it) at night. I can only assume it is due to a development phase and it will pass (hopeful)

littlemummyfoofoo Tue 24-Jan-17 11:26:22

thanks! I am pleased lo is going for the boob ....just thought lo might have night/day confusion. ..but he's half asleep so that's not it has ha... We've recently decided I'm going to be a SAHM. ..so our priority is to go with the flow... what you say makes sense ...big thanks...Lo is trying to walk/talk and dance!

SasBel Tue 24-Jan-17 11:30:30

Normal, you are doing great! All mine went clingy and fed a lot at 9 months, they are teething, and reaching so many mile stones. If you are uncomfortable feeding him you can just stop feeding at night, he will still want comfort though.

littlemummyfoofoo Tue 24-Jan-17 14:01:25

I'm OK as long as I know there's a light at the end of the tunnel. I have no shame... i sleep when he does during the day!

insertimaginativeusername Tue 24-Jan-17 14:47:19

Lucky you! Mine refuses to nap sad I'm keeping my fingers crossed we can swap the night feasts for a bottle so at least I can share it when I'm back at work properly!

littlemummyfoofoo Tue 24-Jan-17 15:04:52

ouch it's so awkward when they don't sleep at all. The night feasts are crazy. hopefully they will all be equal ay 18months!

IfYouDontImagineNothingHappens Tue 24-Jan-17 18:20:53

It's normal. They may also be teething?

It's a phase and it passes, I think I ended up co-sleeping to get some shut eye.

Well done you for getting through all that stress and have a baby so keen to feed. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now