Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

4 month old won't take bottle

(7 Posts)
ooks Sat 24-Feb-07 22:14:52

Please help, my four month old won't take a bottle and I return to work in four weeks. I have tried Avent, Tommie Tippie, Nuk and Haberman bottles. Formula and breast milk. Giving the bottle at different times of the day. And today offered a bottle all day long, did not breast feed, but she still did not give in. I finally gave in and breast fed her before bed at 7pm.
Any suggestions as what to do next?

Pavlovthecat Sat 24-Feb-07 22:21:06

God I know how you feel! Try MAM bottles. They are fiddly, but great. Try changing the position you hold her in? I find my DD, who still wont take a full bottle from me, takes it best when I hold her either facing away from me but against me, cuddled in and softly speaking/reassuring, or with me sat with my knees up and her rest against them, holding a finger.

I would also say, dont stress if you can. My LO can scream and scream, if she gets like this I know she wont do it, so I have stopped forcing her. I give it about 5-1o mins as sometimes she is just stubborn and thinks she will get BF if she fusses, but I can now recognise her cry and if it seems she is actually unhappy rather than trying it on, I dont push it.

I know I have not answered your question properly, but wanted to share my experiences of what sometimes works, and to let you know you are not alone.

She is almost 8 months btw. I been offered so much advice, withold feeding - they wont starve themselves/feed when starving/dont feed when starving/feed when tired/dont feed when tired. Its all been hit and miss.

I have just posted a thread actually, today about whether to go cold turkey or wean gradually. Maybe have a look and see if we can get some answers together.
I dont know how to do link, but its under this topic area...

Pavlovthecat Sat 24-Feb-07 22:22:29

Does this work?

have a look atthis

SenoraPostrophe Sat 24-Feb-07 22:25:28

ooks, are you trying to ditch breastfeeding all together? is it possible she senses that?

they do say to gte someone else to give the bottle, though ds never did take one. he took v small amounts of milk from a cup instead.

pavlov: go gradual. for yours and for his sake

Pavlovthecat Sat 24-Feb-07 22:35:39

LOL, I would love to continue, just worry that she wont get enough if she does not take bottle when I am at work.

DP tries to give her bottle has done for months. Its hit and miss there too, she used to only take it from me! Now she takes it when she wants, whether it me or him!
Gradual tho, seems to be the same as never!

ooks Sat 24-Feb-07 22:58:01

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to slowly keep trying - will invest in those MAM bottles as well. Sounds like we've both got a trying time ahead of us.
Don't really want to give up breastfeeding completely - was going to continue morning and night feeds whilst at work, with bottles during the day, but may have to go cold turkey as she can certainly hold out.

Pavlovthecat Sat 24-Feb-07 22:59:51

I think if you are able to do AM/PM then you should, I would love to, just dont know if it possible.

Good luck. Good thing about MAM...you get blue or pink ones, so cool!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now