Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about expressing

(3 Posts)
lilyborderterrier Mon 23-Jan-17 14:46:09

Please explain expressing to me, when, how often etc.
I'm pregnant with my 2nd and I did breastfeed and express for the first 6 months but to be honest it was a nightmare. We struggled to bond and her to feed, I'm amazed we did for so long. So I expressed using a hand pump, I expressed loads on both sides and after she'd fed. So I felt like a milking machine. I could get loads ounces and ounces.
But it meant my supply was great so when I stopped it was agony and took 2 painful weeks to stop.

Maybe I did it right but I would like options and options please.

I'm not sure if I plan to breast feed this 2nd one for so long. Due to my daughter having serious allergies and reflux ( still having them now at nearly 4) her prescribed formula made her thrive and a happy healthy baby and I fed her it was horrible ) so although this baby might not have allergies at all I'm thinking formula feeding may be best.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 24-Jan-17 16:44:35

I can't really explain expressing to you because, honestly, I was rubbish at it. Could you wait until the first 5 weeks are over and then see how you feel?

RachSt12 Fri 27-Jan-17 16:07:17

I expressed exclusively for 4 months, mainly as my DS was born early and I couldn't breast feed him, I had planned to breastfeed him when I got home but unfortunately that did not quite go to plan. I continued expressing and it got to the point where he was feeding every two hours and I was putting him down expressing, changing his nappy and then feeding. I didn't get any time to interact with him/play. I felt awful not doing it but once I'd made the decision to stop I now time to do the lovely things with him. It's a personal option but I know I gave my boy a good start to life smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now