Talk

Advanced search

Relactating/starting bf

(3 Posts)
Thebonsaitree Sun 22-Jan-17 21:01:26

Dd is 14 weeks and I really regret not sticking with breastfeeding.
She is my second baby, I tried to bf dd1, we got to 6 weeks but due to tongue tie and allergies I gave up and gave her formula. I was exhausted and had no support.
When dd2 was born she latched straight away and fed for a good hour or so in the hospital. She became a bit fussy with feeds so I started formula feeding her after about 3 days.
I still have milk, I could express about 3ml at a time. I have tried to get her to latch but she just cries.
Is it too late to start bf? Am I being stupid?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

seven201 Sun 22-Jan-17 21:04:37

I think keep persisting. Spend as much time just cuddling etc without your top on. Try and resist guiding her too much, but let her explore. Are there any breastfeeding support groups near you eg la leche league. If you're worried that you're supply will dwindle before she's had a proper chance to increase it then continue to express regularly.

Those are just my ideas/thoughts, I'm not an expert!

Crispmonster1 Sun 22-Jan-17 21:06:47

3ml doesn't sound a lot but I think it can improve. There is a drug called Domperidone which is used to increase milk levels (also an anti sickness drug too). Maybe speaknto HV about this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now