Talk

Advanced search

I'ts All Going Tits Up!! (Pardon the pun)

(16 Posts)
magnolia1 Sat 24-Feb-07 15:25:28

Ds1 is 12 weeks old, we have had problems from the start. Tongue tie (was snipped), Infected toenails so he was uncomfortable until antibiotics worked, he has reflux and is on Gaviscon and Ranatidine.
He has always preferred the left boob bu its got o he stage where I can't get him latched on the right bbob properly and I am so sore It seems to be affecting the supply in the right boob too
I have ried different positions and will be going o see the b/f counseller on Monday but I am in tears every feed at the moment coz even afer 12 weeks it just isn't getting any easier.
I fed dd4 for a year with no problems but this time is so much harder. With 4 other kids I am finding so hard to concentrate on the b/f 100%

tibsy Sat 24-Feb-07 19:01:48

magnolia1 - i think you're fantastic to have lasted 12 weeks with all the probs AND 4 other children
not been through this, but have had a dd who has been known to be fussy at the boob, have you tried expressing a little from the right boob 1st so that it is flowing a bit faster?
chin up, you're doing a bloody fantastic job by the sounds of it
best of luck

NotQuiteCockney Sat 24-Feb-07 19:09:47

Is the right nipple a different shape to the left? Or is it maybe that he objects to being on that side? Have you tried feeding rugby-style (or lying down) on that side?

You are doing really well, with so many kids and so many problems.

Are you sore on both sides, or just the right? It is possible to only feed on one side, many women do it ... (My DSes both preferred my left boob, and I know the supply was as a result better there than on the right. Now at two, DS2 only feeds from the right side to be polite.)

Olihan Sat 24-Feb-07 19:31:22

Magnolia, ds2 also prefers my left boob, if he's really stressed or hungry he won't latch on to the right at all so I have to start him on the left until he's calm. My left boob is now bigger than my right (attractive look!) and has a much better supply. Can you feed him mainly from the left and just put him on the right when he's less frantic, at least until you can see the bfc? He might not hurt you as much if he's not desperate.

Hope you can get it sorted, these first few months have been rough for you. Is he still more cheerful on the ranitidine?

Olihan Sat 24-Feb-07 19:34:26

Duh, meant to ask, are you right or left handed? I'm right handed and hold him in that hand when he's latching on to the left side. The bfc I saw suggested it could be that the way I hold him with my left hand may not be as comfortable for him because it's clumsier iyswim? I'm pretty cack handed with my left hand so it made sense to me.

NotQuiteCockney Sat 24-Feb-07 19:48:02

Oh, it's normally your offhand boob that is a) slightly larger, even when not bf and b) less milk-producing. This is certainly true for me, and I'm pretty sure I've seen reference to it on here.

Olihan Sat 24-Feb-07 19:59:41

Really NQC? Never noticed the difference in size before but it's REALLY obvious now with the bf. I wonder what physiological reason's behind that then.

Does that mean you ca tell what hand someone writes with by which boob is bigger ?

Olihan Sat 24-Feb-07 20:00:07

which hand, erk!

NotQuiteCockney Sat 24-Feb-07 20:57:01

Ah, mine were a bit different before. More different now I'm bf, but they'll no doubt go back to a normal difference later.

I don't know why they're associated, I just gather they are.

OonaghBhuna Sat 24-Feb-07 21:06:19

My MW told me that the baby will always have one boob that he or she prefers, and one boob that seems to work better than the other. My left boob is always sore but have no problems with the right boob.I have a friend who just fed from one boob because she couldnt cope with the pain.She was lopsided but it worked for her!!

fishie Sat 24-Feb-07 21:06:59

magnolia it was 5m before position wsa really sorted for me. i stopped turning ds around at about14w, used cushion and shift along to lh side (good trick for one side preferrer), or lying down or rugby hold. (rh breast preferred, i am lh)

magnolia1 Sat 24-Feb-07 22:40:57

I have tried lying down but just can't get it right He used to like rugby hold on the rhs but now it doesn't matter what I try.

Been out for dinner tonight and fed from lhs to make life easier. Will try rhs before bed and will express from it in the morning to keep supply up till I see the b/f counseller.

Thanks girls

Lio Sat 24-Feb-07 22:44:22

Bravo for sticking with it, magnolia, it can be so hard, and espesh when the other children need you too. Sympathy.

Just a theory, but apart from funny boob/nipple shapes, I sometimes wonder if babies find it easier on one side because they are more comfortable lying that way, perhaps if they were twisted or jolted while being born? If you think this might have some bearing then a good cranial osteopath might help.

Hope bf counsellor can help you on Monday.

magnolia1 Sat 24-Feb-07 22:48:12

We went o see a cranial osteopath on Friday and are going back next week, I'm a bit sceptical but it can't do any harm

Lio Sat 24-Feb-07 22:49:58

Gets to the stage where you'll give anything a go, doesn't it? Night night.

fishie Sun 25-Feb-07 22:28:38

magnolia, i couldn't do lying down till ds neck was v strong, well after 12 weeks i think. didn't understand most instructions either so my attempt here.... best done like an arm round baby shoulders but you are face to face and lying down.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: