Talk

Advanced search

Mercury worries breastfeeding dental work

(8 Posts)
April2013 Fri 20-Jan-17 10:58:48

Anyone know anything about risk of mercury from filling getting into breast milk? I've done lots of research and seems best to avoid having dental work done but I need a crown as otherwise I will probably end up with an infection and needing an extraction. My baby is 10 months and I want to carry on till 12-13 months. The problem is they have to drill out the old amalgam filling which means I will almost definitely breathe a lot of that in/swallow it. Help!

sonlypuppyfat Fri 20-Jan-17 11:01:32

Oh the risk must be miniscule, you'll be in agony if you don't get your tooth done

reallyanotherone Fri 20-Jan-17 11:02:47

Ask your dentist. They won't do it if there's a risk.

You don't absorb mercury through the gi tract, so it's actually safe to swallow. It needs to be vapourised and inhaled.

April2013 Fri 20-Jan-17 11:18:18

Thanks V much for your replies. Dentist not worried about it but academic advice says to avoid. One of those no one knows situations 😞

percypeppa Fri 20-Jan-17 16:15:57

I had an old filling removed while pregnant and my dentist used a sheet of rubber around the tooth to catch all the pieces to reduce the chance of me ingesting any Mercury. maybe ask your dentist about that?

Chrisinthemorning Fri 20-Jan-17 16:18:41

www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/wp-content/dibm/dental%20treatment.pdf
Sensible advice here

MackerelOfFact Fri 20-Jan-17 16:23:38

I know two dentists who are currently pregnant and another one who is breastfeeding. They work with amalgam all day, every day and don't seem at all worried. With all due respect, "lots of research" probably doesn't quite compete with 5+ years at dental school. I don't think there's anything to stress about.

anotherdayanothersquabble Fri 20-Jan-17 17:22:38

There is enough evidence that mercury fillings are not safe, to be cautious about this procedure. Research your dentist carefully. Find one that uses a dam to prevent any particles going into mouth and one that does not advise mercury fillings in the first place. PM me if you want some more info about what to do before and afterwards. .

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: