Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

1 year old not keen on drinking cows milk

(11 Posts)
s098 Thu 19-Jan-17 20:43:48

My daughter has just turned 1 and is still breastfed. She's recently stopped having a night feed so it's only been a morning feed and one at bedtime. I'm now keen to stop breastfeeding so have stopped the morning feed for the last 3 days and offered her cows milk in a cup which she has been having with weetabix most mornings so is used to the taste. I've also given her small amounts in a cup before now on advice from the health visitor.
I've tried it in different cups and she'll have a bit but not much and doesn't seem that bothered about it.
I'm keen to try and drop the bedtime feed but unsure about the fact she won't have any/much milk if she only has cows milk.
Is there an alternative or shall I keep trying and hope she'll take to it? And how much milk should she be drinking?

MaryManchego Thu 19-Jan-17 20:46:39

As long as she's getting calcium sources and fat soluble vitamins it's not crucial. Milk /cheese /yoghurt or other sources (vegan websites are good for non dairy sources) are all fine, the suggested amount of milk is only half a pint a day for over ones. You'd probably use half in the weetabix to start with, it's not huge amounts

QueenOfThorns Thu 19-Jan-17 20:51:11

I think you should keep trying. My DD wasn't keen at all, but she started nursery at 14 months and they gave all the children milk to drink. After about 2 weeks of rejecting it every days, she cottoned on to the idea and is still happily drinking milk nearly 2 years later!

s098 Thu 19-Jan-17 20:58:52

Luckily loves cheese and yoghurt so she does get plenty of dairy.
So should I just offer her a cup of milk at bedtime instead of bf and if she doesn't have it just put her to bed without? Then just try the same the next night.

isthistoonosy Thu 19-Jan-17 20:59:18

Have you tried a fancy new big girl cup and special straw to build up.the excitement of the cows milk.

KatharinaRosalie Thu 19-Jan-17 21:04:44

my DS has never had any cows milk - total bottle refuser, and also refused milk from any other cup or bottle. He is 3 now, has plenty of yogurts etc, looks fine to me - as long as your DD eats a varied diet, I don't think milk is really essential at that age

unlimiteddilutingjuice Thu 19-Jan-17 21:10:01

Have you tried giving expressed milk in a cup?
If she will take that you could try adding a little cows milk. Then gradually increase the proportion of cow to breast milk until its all cow.

unlimiteddilutingjuice Thu 19-Jan-17 21:11:25

Having said that: I've just weaned my 2 year old off the breast and now I come to think about it I don't offer her any drink at bedtime. Just a story and a cuddle.

blueskyinmarch Thu 19-Jan-17 21:25:03

Neither of mine have ever drunk cows milk. They never liked it. Neither do DH and I. I put milk into their breakfast porridge and gave them yogurt and cheese. They were both fine. They are healthy adults now and still dislike milk.

s098 Thu 19-Jan-17 21:27:58

I did think about trying a cup with a straw. But so far she's been the same with a sippy cup and her munchkin cup which she really likes drinking water out of.

To be honest I'm not sure I'd be able to express enough milk to do that. Maybe the night feed is more comfort/ habit because it's what I'm offering as she doesn't feed for long now

mummybee2015 Tue 24-Jan-17 11:11:15

My daughter also started drinking cow's milk after 1 year old. I think you can give cow's milk after 1 which is acceptable. My daughter also eats lots of feta cheese and yogurt so she must be getting lots of calcium and I don't think it is a problem to give cow's milk after 1. I was only told not to give before she goes to bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now