Talk

Advanced search

BREASTPUMP : IS IT A GOOD PURCHASE ?

(34 Posts)
Summerfruit Fri 23-Feb-07 19:49:14

Message withdrawn

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

liath Fri 23-Feb-07 19:52:39

Medela mini electric did me proud (exclusively expressed for 6 weeks with it) but it's bit noisy.

chocolateshoes Fri 23-Feb-07 19:54:03

I also got a Medela mini electric - it was really good and made expressing so much less of a chore - well worth the money.

LadyTophamHatt Fri 23-Feb-07 19:55:24

I'm selling my mini medela one now if you're interested.

Gave EBM for 4 weeks and it does a FAB job.

AitchTwoOh Fri 23-Feb-07 19:56:49

the ameda lactaline is expensive (£80?) but worth every penny. the medela mini-electric is okay if you're producing plenty of milk, but wasn't very good for me i'm afraid. and like liath says, it's noisy so you can't take five minutes and watch the telly, which is the only upside of pumping.
can't you borrow one from someone? they're the sort of thing that when you're finished with them you really aren't going to need it for a while...

VoodooChickenhead Fri 23-Feb-07 20:00:04

the hand ones give you wrist ache, so if I was starting over I def. would get an electric one.

kathryn77 Fri 23-Feb-07 20:00:46

Medula mini breast pump was great for me... it is noisy but turn the telly up. I used it every day for 6 months. it broke at six months and i was not ready to stop bf, so went and got another one but they onyl had a boots one <was day before xmas eve!>.. boots one was terrible so i took it back and got another medula one...

<the electric not manual one>

liath Fri 23-Feb-07 20:03:11

I re-read Riders & Rivals while expressing . I had an amazing supply (if I say so myself - pity I was so crap at actually breastfeeding) but my sister could never get a proper let down with a pump so buying one in advance may turn out a bit of a waste of money if you end up not being able to express.

AitchTwoOh Fri 23-Feb-07 20:03:22

my medela one broke too, and i took it back to boots without the receipt and they gave me a new one. same thing happened to my friend, no quibbling about receipts so maybe you should try your luck with the busted one?

LowFatMilkshake Fri 23-Feb-07 20:04:16

I got the avent Isis, works well and has enough suction to keep drawing the milk for ages without you having to pump!

Can get a bit creaky though

Plibble Fri 23-Feb-07 20:07:14

My electric Medela one broke as well - the plastic bit cracked (can't remember how but I am sure I wasn't doing anything very violent). TBH I found that when my milk supply was down it was not good at getting the flow going. I also had a manual Avent Isis which was great. I expressed at least one feed a day from 7 weeks to 7 months.

kathryn77 Fri 23-Feb-07 20:07:23

yes boots gave exchanged both... they did say that they had a lot of medula ones returned but i still would recommend them.

i also agree with liath and say get one after the birth - you may hate breastfeeding and not be able to pump... is a lot of money on the off chance!

Summerfruit Fri 23-Feb-07 20:11:13

Message withdrawn

LadyTophamHatt Fri 23-Feb-07 20:15:37

£35, It's virtully brand new (DS4 is only 5 weeks old) and I didn't use it that much as I had a manual one too. The noise of the medela would alert the older DS's that I was 2pumping" and I'd end up with a audience watching my nipple being sucked down the tube!! I could pump in secret with the manual one
I bought it in Boots for £54 but I think it's slightly cheaper in Mothercare

Summerfruit Fri 23-Feb-07 20:25:41

Message withdrawn

LadyTophamHatt Fri 23-Feb-07 20:30:42

I'm in east sussex, where abouts are you?

It's all still in the box with leaflets etc etc, the only thing missing is the teeny weeny tube of lanolin cream for sore nipps and the free sample of breast pads.

Summerfruit Fri 23-Feb-07 20:45:43

Message withdrawn

LadyTophamHatt Fri 23-Feb-07 20:52:02

I can send it, no probs.
Actually I have a few things I need to get in the post(all for MNers) so it's really no bother.
Do you have paypal?

I think my CAT subcription has run out(sorry MNHQ will pay up again ASAP), Can you CAT me and we'll sort it all out?

Summerfruit Fri 23-Feb-07 20:59:08

Message withdrawn

LadyTophamHatt Fri 23-Feb-07 21:13:19

Ah, CAT is the contact a mumsnetter at the top. We ahve to pay £5 a yr to use it but mine has run out.

I'll pay mine tomorrow and CAT you, my purse is in our bedroom and Dh is in bed as he starts work at 3am tomorrow other wise I'd do it now.

Summerfruit Fri 23-Feb-07 21:18:35

Message withdrawn

Brandyanddietcoke Fri 23-Feb-07 21:29:09

for anyone that has an Home Bargains near them, they are selling brand new Tommee Tippee Breast pumps for £5.99... it's got quite a few accesories with it too! What a bargain! thinking about buying one for the future... (hmm)

cjs76 Fri 23-Feb-07 21:40:47

first time round had the avent manual one 2nd time the medela electric as thought would be easier but I have to say the manual was better and seemed to get more milk out! Definately worth buying one tho! I liked the fact you knew how much they had taken at the night time feed if you gave in the bottle

OonaghBhuna Fri 23-Feb-07 22:47:32

I used medala first time and although it was ok it just decided to brake down and couldnt be fixed. So this time I decided that I didnt want to spend another £40 so I bought an Avent manual one, I actually think it is much better definately worth it if you want some freedom when breast feeding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now