Talk

Advanced search

Worth trying again with breast feeding?

(38 Posts)
PeachBellini123 Sat 14-Jan-17 20:12:34

Desperately need advice with this.

Baby was born on Monday after a stressful induction and labour. He had problems latching on due to my flat nipples. After getting advice from around 5 different midwives (all telling me different ways to feed) and ending up with bruising on my breast with them trying to get my nipple erect I was so upset I left hospital without him latching on.

I tried fruitlessly at home and we ended up giving him formula as he was absolutely starving.

My milk's now come in. Have I messed up the chance of him bf now? There's a support group near me for breastfeeding but I fear it's far too late.

I'm expressing but not getting that far with it.

Should I just accept that my breasts are not designed to feed?

Number4OnTheWay Sat 14-Jan-17 20:17:44

No you haven't messed up the chance. Not at all.
My DS was ff for 3 days and when my milk came in I bf him. It was so much easier once my milk was in. We mix fed for the next few days and by the time he was 10 days old he was exclusively breastfed fed. I continued to breast feed until he was 8 months old.
In my expiearience you won't get an awful lot of support from the midwives though sad the attitude towards me was 'it can't be done' and 'its too late'
It's really not though. He is your son, if you want to try and bf him, then do it! You do not need anyone elses permission.
DS was my 3rd child btw, I ff both my older 2 and if that what you want to do, that's fine too.

Isadora2007 Sat 14-Jan-17 20:18:10

I would definitely give it a go.
Look up the kellymom website there is lots of info.
Definitely also go to the group as there could be some people who have managed to overcome flat nipples and breastfed. Would nipple shields help any?

PrettyDarnQuick Sat 14-Jan-17 20:20:04

Please don't think it's too late. It's not!

If at all possible, take to your bed for a baby moon - skin to skin - and do nothing but cuddle and feed for a week. Can you find a bf counsellor or IBCLC?

PrettyDarnQuick Sat 14-Jan-17 20:21:06

It's called breastfeeding not nipple feeding for a reason. An IBCLC can help. ❤️

divafever99 Sat 14-Jan-17 20:24:21

I have had a very similar experience to you with both dc. Both born by emergency c section, milk only came in after 3 days, tried desperately to bf both in hospital but with very flat nipples and very little support I left hospital without them being able to latch on. Continued to try when I got home until my nipples bled! I used a manual breast pump, got very little on first few times I used, but supply did get better so maybe persevere with this. I managed to express some milk and top up with formula. I managed a week with dd1 and 6 weeks with dd2. I spent a lot of time stressing over this, especially with dd1 and it spoilt the cuddly newborn stage with her. After this short time of using expressed milk they were both fed exclusively on formula and I have 2 very healthy girls. If you do want to try again to get baby to latch on I remember one of the community midwives advising me to give a very small amount of formula then try and get baby to latch on, as they are more likely to stay calm and latch on more easily if they are not really hungry and getting stressed they cant feed if you see what I mean. Good luck, flowers

MrsNuckyThompson Sat 14-Jan-17 20:26:02

Unfortunately midwives aren't usually particularly well versed in more challenging situations. Definitely give the local group a go, check out Kellymom and call LLL. I bet there might also be useful YouTube videos dealing with flat nipples situations. Definitely not too late!!

PeachBellini123 Sat 14-Jan-17 20:26:18

Thank you so much. Yes the midwives were pretty useless..I'd try doing what one had shown me the another would come in and say 'no do it like this'.confusedhmm

Will look up IBCLC and Kellymom.

ZZZZ1111 Sat 14-Jan-17 21:15:54

It's not too late at all, it's early days for you! Try to get to as many bf groups as possible, and look up the website as suggested above. Many of us have had problems feeding initially and then gone on to feed successfully for many months/years. You can do this, you just need to get the right support to help you and your baby get the hang of it smile

MollyHuaCha Sat 14-Jan-17 21:17:14

Good luck smile

PrettyDarnQuick Sat 14-Jan-17 22:01:30

Keep posting here to, OP - you're not alone! Expressing as much as you can is important too while you get the hang of it!

LLL on flat nipples

PrettyDarnQuick Sat 14-Jan-17 22:05:24

Another link

And another

smile

Nicnak2223 Sat 14-Jan-17 22:05:51

Good luck op,

Definitely not too late, please just keep feeding and cuddling your baby and it will come.

Eclecticmama Sat 14-Jan-17 22:12:39

As others have said, definitely not too late. I had very flat nipples and really struggled with my latch. I used breast shields and found them to be a godsend! There is mixed advice about shields as it's thought they can reduce your milk production. However I haven't found this to be the case. I was able to stop using the shields at about 6-7 weeks (as my nipples had become considerably less flat, and she was able to latch on)
The first 4 weeks are key to your milk production, you'll feel that your baby is never off your breasts over this time (well that was how I felt any way) this is totally normal, and is causing the maturation of your breasts to set up good milk production.

I'm still breast feeding my daughter at 10 months, and am so glad I persevered through a very rocky start. (Lansinoh was a great help, as were breast feeding support groups)

This is just my experience though. Best of luck OP, and congratulations! flowers

mineofuselessinformation Sat 14-Jan-17 22:15:20

Another one saying that breast shields might be helpful. A friend found this was the only way she could feed.
You really need to find a lactation consultant who can give you advice.
It's not too late. Good luck.

PeachBellini123 Sun 15-Jan-17 20:54:18

Sorry not to have come back sooner but have taken advice:lots of skin to skin and found a lactation consultant near to where we live so have contacted her. Also ordered nipple shields.

Thanks so much everyone who posted. Was so down yesterday, your advice and support has made SUCH a difference already.

divafever99 Sun 15-Jan-17 21:29:06

That's great op, well done!

PrettyDarnQuick Tue 17-Jan-17 00:08:23

So glad to hear it OP. Always post for support if you need it and so glad you've sought out RL support.

Well done, mama!

PeachBellini123 Tue 17-Jan-17 10:42:48

Thank you much Pretty. I'm combining breast feeding and formula. He has latched on but not enough for ebf (yet..?). Lactation consultant was amazing. She was so kind and gentle. One midwife at the hospital was looking back so rough with him and my boob - he must have been scared off!

Feel so pleased but also have forgiven myself if we do return to FF. Doesn't make me or anyone of us a failure.

MauiChristmas Tue 17-Jan-17 10:45:20

I had a similar start to you op, managed to get to end at 5 weeks. It's so worth it now smile stick with it.

MauiChristmas Tue 17-Jan-17 10:45:53

End? EBF! Sorry, damn autocorrect!

MollyHuaCha Tue 17-Jan-17 11:21:54

Good luck. I guess the 'supply meets demand' thing will mean baby will have to bf a lot for you to produce enough milk. I hope you have someone helping you to get enough rest and lots of lovely meals.

PrettyDarnQuick Sun 22-Jan-17 16:27:24

How are things OP? flowers

PeachBellini123 Fri 27-Jan-17 10:29:26

Molly - Thank god I have a very supportive DH!

Well baby is being breast fed and topped up with formula at night. He is so hungry but this seems to be working for us. Also allows DH to helps with feeds. I rented an electric breast pump which is helpful.

Health visitor tried to get me to go to a breastfeeding group at the hospital for support but I had such a bad experience there I politely turned her down..I am planning on joining the NCT feeding group in a couple of weeks though.

Lactation consultant has been amazing though.

Thanks again for the support ladies. Was so down when I first posted.

CityMole Fri 27-Jan-17 12:33:56

This is such an amazing update. You must be so proud of yourself. Well done you and your boobs! flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now