Talk

Advanced search

done to death but my 3mo is refusing bottle & I've already gone back to work

(15 Posts)
Closetotears Thu 12-Jan-17 12:00:17

Writing this trying not to cry. I've returned to work part time, and my 3mo is now totally refusing to feed from a bottle. She is exclusive breastfed up until now, and we've been offering a bottle of breastmilk for about 8 weeks, sometimes she'd be angry, sometimes she'd play with it, sometimes she'd take a few oz. We hoped that once I wasn't here she'd accept she needed to drink. But no.
We have a nanny who has tried everything. I am only gone 1 day a week at the moment, but it will be 2 in a few weeks, and I can't even leave her for a day now as she screams hysterically almost at the sight of the bottle now. It's definitely getting worse not better.
I have tried so many teats and bottles, I've tried different temps, different times of day, different positions, different levels of hunger, different places etc etc etc.
I am at my wits end and feel so guilty it is making me feel like I can't actually work any more. I don't even know how anyone could help me. I just feel so desperately sad and stuck.

binkybonk Thu 12-Jan-17 14:29:19

Ready for no help at all...?!! But I went back to work at 5m and 6m with my boys and neither drank a drop from the bottle until I left two days in a row and then they cracked the second day.
We had tried everything prior to that. Seriously. I spent the family fortune on bottles, got husband and others to try when I waited outside/ went for a walk... etc etc etc...
Positives; they got it on day two and fed from a bottle 3 times a day and me every other feed. which means all night FYI
Good luck and don't worry, baby will work it out soon enough x

drinkyourmilk Thu 12-Jan-17 14:33:47

I've been that nanny. It's very hard for all involved- but she (baby) will take it eventually. It may take a few days for her to get used to it. Will she takes it as a dream feed? I would sometimes have success with giving it while baby was asleep.
I tried with a cup for a while too- which was semi successful.
We found slow flow teats worked best.
Hope it works out. Leaves you feeling awful. flowers

Screamer1 Thu 12-Jan-17 14:40:41

My baby was ebf and bottle refused. I read on here someone
recommending a brand called Minbie which I think you can only get online.

It's the only one she's gone anywhere near and I tried LOADS. Good luck!

Closetotears Thu 12-Jan-17 15:08:36

thanks everyone for the help, I will try ANYTHING.

MrsMKJ Sun 15-Jan-17 19:04:17

Close have you had any luck? My DD is 12 weeks and cries with every bottle. She's fine once she gets going but cries so much before finally accepting the bottle. I've just started a thread actually, not seeing this one. She was EBF until now. I'm so beyond desperate. It's making me feel really down.

Closetotears Sun 15-Jan-17 21:34:14

No good news here I'm afraid. You're lucky yours will take one eventually. I can barely get a few oz into mine. Still! Have the minbie bottles arriving soon but not expecting much. I so wish I'd given a bottle (of breastmilk) a day since she was younger so it was just a normal thing. I couldn't bf my first and used to sit in coffee shops feeling so jealous of the bf mums. Now I've cracked it with dc2 and watch bottle feeding mums with envy. Argh!!

MrsMKJ Sun 15-Jan-17 22:40:04

Sorry to hear things aren't much better for you. Today has literally been a day of very little feeds. She's taken 1-2oz at most feeds and been so horribly upset at every one. Are you BF to try and top up? Hugs, it's soul destroying! I loved BF too xx

IamChipmunk Mon 16-Jan-17 07:31:57

My ds was a bottle refuser, went to nursery full time at 7 months and took 3 days to decide he would have it!
Would never have a bottle at home though.

We used a nuk latex teat and glass bottle.

Once baby realises you are definitely not there then they might change their mind...

Closetotears Mon 16-Jan-17 09:16:48

Well I'm on my way to work awaiting news from our nanny. Expect to be in for an hour at the most really but she wanted me to go and try it to see how she goes. Walked to the station in tears. This wasn't what I envisaged when I made all my lovely looking plans. Sob.

BlueberryGateaux Mon 16-Jan-17 09:21:26

Have you tried plastic medcine type syringe? You can get them from a pharmacy, worked for my friend.

Closetotears Mon 16-Jan-17 16:25:10

Well, it's a miracle - she fed today from the bottle just fine 🍼 Actually drank so much the nanny ran out of breastmilk. After all the bloody bottles I tried she's chosen the cheap as chips tomee tipee closer to nature short little stubby one. Not even one of the fancy special ones I bought in desperation. It's almost like she knew I was at my limit! More likely the perseverance just pays off eventually I guess. I spent all weekend offering the bottle before, during, after and in between feeds even though she wouldn't take it. Can't tell you how relieved I feel today. Even if she still fusses at times now at least I know she can do it.

BlueberryGateaux Mon 16-Jan-17 18:37:38

Phew, what a relief brew

MrsMKJ Mon 16-Jan-17 23:29:25

That's great news!! Well done to you both! X

Closetotears Tue 17-Jan-17 07:52:48

Thanks both. Fingers crossed she keeps it up. I honestly thought we were doomed! Good luck your end too Mrs!x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now