Talk

Advanced search

Green poos in newborn...I KNOW it's been done before but I really need some advice

(22 Posts)
katierocket Thu 22-Feb-07 13:02:44

DS2 (5 weeks - BF) is very very unsettled, frequently seems in pain. Am sure it's not trapped wind as he burps fine but I'm most concerned about his consistently green and slimey nappies. I think he's had one yellow seedy type one in 5 weeks. Lovely NCT BF lady i spoke to agreed that it's not normal for them to be always green.

Most of the info I can find suggests it means he's getting to much foremilk and to only feed from one side but I've only ever done that anyway. Is it possible that I could just naturally produce too much foremilk?

Am thinking of trying formula which I don't realyl want to do but desperate to make him more comfortable and it's obviously feeding related (is not 'colic' as DS1 had that and it was very different).

tiktok Thu 22-Feb-07 13:10:07

What's your baby's weight and weight gain, katie?

katierocket Thu 22-Feb-07 13:10:47

he was 8lb 15oz when born and the last time I had him weighed (about 10 days ago) he was 10lb 14oz

katierocket Thu 22-Feb-07 13:11:48

HV thinks I should go to GP and ask to be referred to paed.

LucyJu Thu 22-Feb-07 13:14:58

Google "breast compression". This can help baby get to the so-called hind milk, with its higher fat content. Try feeding only from one side for 3 hours, before swapping to the other one.
BTW, what is your son's weight gain like?

LucyJu Thu 22-Feb-07 13:16:27

Sorry Toktok - didn't realise you wre on the thread.
<sheepishly makes way for an expert>

InTheHouse Thu 22-Feb-07 13:18:57

glad to see this thread...i thought about it this morning. Sorry to but in, but I wanted to check if runny poo, (sometimes green) is still the norm for a four month bf babe?

katierocket Thu 22-Feb-07 13:30:56

no lucy - all comments very welcome! See below re: weight gain, it's very good.

katierocket Thu 22-Feb-07 14:23:31

tiktok Thu 22-Feb-07 14:32:15

Try bf on one side for several feeds on the trot, Katie....this will prevent over-supply which can a) make poos green b)make babies unsettled and miserable. The reason it does this is because the baby fills his tummy with foremilk which is abundant when mum's milk is a bit too generous. The other thing to check is position and attachment - could be linked as with over-supply the baby can learn not to be on 'right' to prevent the firehose effect of the supply.

Hope this helps. You need to do it for a couple of days before you know it is working or not.

katierocket Thu 22-Feb-07 15:52:23

THANKS TT - will give it a go

katierocket Sun 25-Feb-07 13:00:01

TT - I've been feeding DS2 on same breast for 2 feeds, it's difficult to tell if it's making any difference - he's been slightly better but had a bad evening yesterday. how long shoudl I carry on for?

NineUnlikelyTales Sun 25-Feb-07 13:33:37

Hi Katie

I'm sure TT's got it all covered, but I just wanted to say that my DS had this too - and he was exclusively EBM fed with a bottle. It lasted for about 4 weeks. It was caused by him having to have antibiotics. Has your DS had them?

Nine
[smeil]

katierocket Sun 25-Feb-07 13:48:40

no he hasn't.

katierocket Sun 25-Feb-07 13:49:04

but thanks for the suggestion

tiktok Sun 25-Feb-07 14:29:36

2 feeds is not enough time to try it, katie. It needs to be at least 2 days - if this is what you meant, though, and he seems slightly better then stick with it.

throckenholt Sun 25-Feb-07 14:32:17

a friend had this - and after a long time and frequent bafflement by the consultants she finally cut out all milk and dairy from her own diet and within a day green poo had gone.

tiktok Sun 25-Feb-07 15:32:13

Green poo is not the issue. It can be sky blue pink or purple as long as everything else is ok - it's the fact the baby is unsettled and seems in pain that's the real problem.

katierocket Sun 25-Feb-07 19:43:09

sorry TT, not explaining myself, I meant I'd been feeding him on one breast for 2 feeds, for 2 days now, poo has turned yellow which is a good sign I think, not sure he's that much more settled but will see what he's like tomorrow.

tiktok Sun 25-Feb-07 23:09:41

Try it for 3 feeds, then, katie, and see if it makes more difference.

tiktok Sun 25-Feb-07 23:10:20

PS you may need to gently hand express a v. little on the unused side to keep yourself comfortable.

katierocket Mon 26-Feb-07 13:33:27

yes I found myself dreadfully uncomfortable this morning. Right breast was so full.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: