Talk

Advanced search

Ds still has one bf a day, Dc2 arriving any day.....

(9 Posts)
Nottalotta Tue 10-Jan-17 11:19:39

Ds was ebf and is 17 months now. He is bf on waking, mostly because he wakes so blasted early, it gets me extra time in bed. I really really did not want to tandem feed, but it's looking likely.

Will ds want to feed more once my milk comes in for new baby?

What about colostrum? I'll be away from ds for a couple of days so assume new baby will get it then?

Also, I feed ds laying in bed, I'm likely to have a c section and know that I'll not be able to lay on my side, any other suggestions?

teaandbiscuitsforme Wed 11-Jan-17 10:34:03

I'm currently BF 5 day old DS with 21 month old DD. She used to feed once or twice a day but isn't that keen on DS feeding so frequently and is asking to feed when he does. I'm letting her have it more frequently at the moment, not every feed, because it's a huge change for her, but I'm thinking of saying only morning and lunch/evening in a few weeks. Not sure how she'll take that!

I was worried about colostrum but being in hospital meant DS got that. I also asked the MW why his sick was a bit orange and she said that was colostrum so all good!

I think boobs know what they're doing and who they're feeding!

Good luck!

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 12-Jan-17 19:01:52

Notta have you read Adventures in Tandem Feeding? Your local LLL may have a copy which yiu can borrow if you're lucky.

If not, it might just be worth ringing your local LLL leader or one of the Bfing Helplines to talk through your plans and to see if they have any suggestions.

Let us know how you get on smile

JohnLapsleyParlabane Thu 12-Jan-17 19:03:44

Lying on my side was the only way I could feed DD comfortably after having her by section. Good luck

Nottalotta Thu 12-Jan-17 19:59:12

Thanks for your replies!

tea I really don't want to up my feeds with ds, equally I don't want him to feel pushed out. I'm hoping this next baby feeds less than he did, as it was bloody hard work for months.

I haven't read that jilted as I was adamant I wouldn't tandem feed....... I don't have a local lll as I live in the arse end of nowhere. But I will look it up. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm sure I remember laying on my side being very painful. Having ds on a feeding pillow was OK but he's a bit big for that now?!

teaandbiscuitsforme Fri 13-Jan-17 11:47:35

Notta I really didn't want to tandem feed either, totally understand. I've now said I'm going to get DD to 2 and then I need to stop (3 months to go!) Since posting though, she's a lot better with me feeding DS and much more compliant if I say she can't feed. So I'm only letting her feed morning and lunch, maybe once in the afternoon. She's also been really good at coming off after a couple of minutes if I say 3, 2, 1, all done. But your DS is a bit younger so not sure he'd get that?

As far as DS goes, he's feeding a lot during the day, but so far, nights have been quite good and I don't feel half as exhausted with it as I did with DD. Not sure it'll last but it's certainly better than I was expecting. Hopefully it'll be the same for you!

RatOnnaStick Fri 13-Jan-17 11:52:03

My only contribution to this is that there will be days when you will be bloody grateful for DS and his toddler size suckle for hoovering up the milk out of a boob at exploding point. The relief is immense...

teaandbiscuitsforme Fri 13-Jan-17 11:56:06

I would second that Rat. I didn't realise I'd feel the milk coming in so much when I was already feeding DD but it's such a relief to give her a minute in the morning to let a boob go down!

Nottalotta Fri 13-Jan-17 12:01:08

I never had exploding boobs with ds, I don't know if I had a lowish supply or he kept on top of it with his constant feeding! He never 'asks' to be fed except that early morning feed which is habit really. Well see...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now