Talk

Advanced search

Is follow on milk richer?

(10 Posts)
Ali5 Wed 21-Feb-07 21:20:17

I've just started DS, nearly 8 months, on follow on milk and he doesn't take as much. For example he'd normally down 8oz when he wakes up, this morning only had about 6oz. Does he just need to get used to it or is it more satisfying? Should I just stay on first milk?

NotQuiteCockney Wed 21-Feb-07 21:22:05

Just stay on first milk. Follow on has added iron, which it doesn't need, and it's just there as a marketing ploy (also, it causes constipation). If your DS isn't enjoying it, switch back.

lulumama Wed 21-Feb-07 21:22:25

it is heavier, contains more casein, which takes longer to digest....so it is more filling...was there any reason you swapped him? also, he will have a little less milk as you are giving solids...first milk is fine until 12 months when you can give cows milk...

Ali5 Wed 21-Feb-07 22:49:54

I swapped because I thought it would be more appropriate and better in terms of his nutritional needs. It's now the same price as the first milk so I thought I'd give it a go and see what he made of it.

Twinklemegan Wed 21-Feb-07 23:02:00

I've not bothered. I figure that breastmilk doesn't change so the formula doesn't need to. I'd rather my DS got any additional nutrients he needs, if any, from good quality proper food rather than processed powdered milk.

tiktok Wed 21-Feb-07 23:10:57

Follow on is not higher in casein - lululmama I think you are confusing it with 'second stage' milk which is not follow on.

Follow on is higher in iron, but most of the iron in it is not absorbed (this is why babies may become constipated on it).

Ali5 Thu 22-Feb-07 07:58:51

OK. He really enjoys his food and I make sure he gets a good variety of home cooked veggies, meat, fish, lentils, fruit, carbs etc so I can just stick with the first milk if the follow on stuff is not that much different. I know his calcium intake is good from what I give him and I also know that you need Vit C to absorb Iron, so I see what you mean about it being a marketing ploy. Thanks!

Furball Thu 22-Feb-07 08:01:09

Thought it was a marketing thing as they are not allowed to advertise baby milk where as Follow on milk they can. Just stick to his usual milk.

lulumama Thu 22-Feb-07 11:32:00

thanks tiktok! i realise i had read it wrong! and then i was off to bed

good job someone more awake was around!!

tiktok Thu 22-Feb-07 12:34:52

lulu - the whole range of formula milks is very confusing, so no wonder people get confused

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: