Talk

Advanced search

How much cows milk if I want to continue breast feeding?

(6 Posts)
SleepFreeZone Sat 07-Jan-17 18:28:06

My son will be one next month and I would like to continue breast feeding for as long as he would like to. I know with DS1 he wasn't particularly interested at this stage and I was keen to quit as I wanted to TTC. So we just gave him cows milk in sippy cups and he was happy as Larry.

I'm concerned that if I start giving lots of alternative milk DS2 will just wean from boob. What's the best plan do you think m, how much should I offer him in cows milk throughout the day?

Thank yoi

JellyWitch Sat 07-Jan-17 18:30:17

I wouldn't give any cows milk. Just make sure there is plenty of calcium rich food in his diet - if he eats, yoghurt, cheese, leafy greens, sardines, fortified cereals on top of continuing to breastfeed then you really don't need to introduce cows milk as a drink at all.

That said, neither of mine like it anyway.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 09-Jan-17 19:45:27

Why do you need to give cow's milk Sleep?

Breadwidow Mon 09-Jan-17 19:56:31

There's no need to give any cows milk if you want to ensure you keep up wit bf, however going by my experience it probably won't effect the feeding:
DS - offered cows milk when I wasn't around, he didn't like it at first and then began to get quite keen on it but despite that I bf him til he was 2. I really upped the cows milk when trying to wean him & it may have helped but I think me being pregnant helped more
DD - she started having cows milk as soon as she was 1 because her brother was, despite that is still an absolute boob mobster at 2 & a bit. Am throwing all weaning efforts at her, including encouraging lots of cows milk and it's not bloody working angry

teaandbiscuitsforme Tue 10-Jan-17 07:38:08

My DD always had cows milk on cereal and started having cups of it when she was at nursery from 12 months. Didn't affect her BF at all! At 21 months, I tend to offer a couple of small cups of milk a day (no idea how much) and BF a couple of times a day. She has lots of calcium rich foods so I've never felt I needed to force milk on her.

HIIITmebabyonemoretime Tue 10-Jan-17 07:42:56

Agree with PP - no need to offer cows' milk unless you've a particular reason to? Just give lots of other sources of calcium.

I'm bf'ing toddler dd on demand still, and she's just on a sippy cup of water through the day. She hardly drinks anything from it in terms of volume, but I feel it's good for her to be comfortable using it.

On one occasion a couple of months ago I was in A&E over bedtime and DH got her to sleep with a sippy cup of cows' milk and a cuddle; she's usually bf to sleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now