Talk

Advanced search

How much cows milk if I want to continue breast feeding?

(6 Posts)
SleepFreeZone Sat 07-Jan-17 18:28:06

My son will be one next month and I would like to continue breast feeding for as long as he would like to. I know with DS1 he wasn't particularly interested at this stage and I was keen to quit as I wanted to TTC. So we just gave him cows milk in sippy cups and he was happy as Larry.

I'm concerned that if I start giving lots of alternative milk DS2 will just wean from boob. What's the best plan do you think m, how much should I offer him in cows milk throughout the day?

Thank yoi

JellyWitch Sat 07-Jan-17 18:30:17

I wouldn't give any cows milk. Just make sure there is plenty of calcium rich food in his diet - if he eats, yoghurt, cheese, leafy greens, sardines, fortified cereals on top of continuing to breastfeed then you really don't need to introduce cows milk as a drink at all.

That said, neither of mine like it anyway.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 09-Jan-17 19:45:27

Why do you need to give cow's milk Sleep?

Breadwidow Mon 09-Jan-17 19:56:31

There's no need to give any cows milk if you want to ensure you keep up wit bf, however going by my experience it probably won't effect the feeding:
DS - offered cows milk when I wasn't around, he didn't like it at first and then began to get quite keen on it but despite that I bf him til he was 2. I really upped the cows milk when trying to wean him & it may have helped but I think me being pregnant helped more
DD - she started having cows milk as soon as she was 1 because her brother was, despite that is still an absolute boob mobster at 2 & a bit. Am throwing all weaning efforts at her, including encouraging lots of cows milk and it's not bloody working angry

teaandbiscuitsforme Tue 10-Jan-17 07:38:08

My DD always had cows milk on cereal and started having cups of it when she was at nursery from 12 months. Didn't affect her BF at all! At 21 months, I tend to offer a couple of small cups of milk a day (no idea how much) and BF a couple of times a day. She has lots of calcium rich foods so I've never felt I needed to force milk on her.

HIIITmebabyonemoretime Tue 10-Jan-17 07:42:56

Agree with PP - no need to offer cows' milk unless you've a particular reason to? Just give lots of other sources of calcium.

I'm bf'ing toddler dd on demand still, and she's just on a sippy cup of water through the day. She hardly drinks anything from it in terms of volume, but I feel it's good for her to be comfortable using it.

On one occasion a couple of months ago I was in A&E over bedtime and DH got her to sleep with a sippy cup of cows' milk and a cuddle; she's usually bf to sleep.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: