Talk

Advanced search

3mo change in BF habbits

(4 Posts)
hiimmumma Wed 04-Jan-17 22:10:12

I just wanted to know if this was a normal change in behavior..
My 3mo DS is ebf
He was on 98centile at birth and was last weigh 3 weeks ago too.
But in the past week or so he has drastically reduced the amount he is feeding.
I have an app that times the feeds and he was feeding for 6-7 hours a day
Now it's more like 3-4 hours a day.
I try and offer him the boob every 3 hours at least even when he isn't cueing but if he dosent want it he just won't engage and gets cross if I try too much.
And when he does feed sometimes it's only for 5 mins. Never more than 25. Whereas before xmas he would feed for 45/50mins easily most feeds.

He has wet and dirty nappies and seems fine and clearly has a lot of chub on him all over.
I just have it in my head that he is suddenly eating so much less and that can't be right.

MIL thinks I'm being silly and I've only got an issue with it because in the first week he lost a lot of weight and my milk took longer than usual to come in, and midwife and HV both said he had lost too much weight and I had to make sure he ate every 3 hours from both boobs and then top up with formula to make sure he put the weight back on.
Took us 3 weeks to get back to birthweight.
And was on 91centile until this last weigh and is back on 98centile.

Now I constantly think about it and worry about him loosing weight and think he needs to eat more.
And I want to get the HV to measure his length to see if he is also on 98centile for length, because I know he is heavy but I think he is just big in general so in proportion weight and height so actually needs to eat more to maintain it. So even though his weight is higher than most it doesn't necessarily mean he is heavy enough for his length.
MIL said if I ask them they will think I'm mad for worrying about it.

how can he be ok on half of what he was eating before when he is so big?

I know I sound crazy but I can't get it out of my head that he isn't eating enough and I don't know what to do to get over it. Or to really know that he has had enough every day.

Please someone tell me this is normal?!

GashleyCrumbTiny Wed 04-Jan-17 22:35:38

He might just be getting more efficient at draining the boob! I'm not an expert but their patterns do change - my 4 month old went onto shorter feeds, then onto longer again but less frequent. Producing nappies and general contentment are your best immediate indicators.

That said, don't be afraid to contact HV to check. It's definitely normal to worry! It's hard with BF as you can't see exactly what they're getting. But if he's a lovely chubby baby, producing nappies, and reasonably content, then you have nothing urgent to worry about. Keep calm, and check with the HV for reassurance - they'll be well used to anxious new mums!

HarrassedMumof3 Wed 04-Jan-17 23:21:34

My baby boy is also 3 months and ebf - 9.13 at birth and took 3 weeks to regain birth weight. No one d we suggested topping up with formula.
He's been feeding like you described but a bit more in the evenings. I assumed he was just getting better at taking more in s shorter time.
If he's doing plenty of nappies and is content I wouldn't worry.

Cakescakescakes Wed 04-Jan-17 23:25:03

He has just got much more efficient at feeding. My boys were on 5 min feeds by then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now