Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help!! 5 month old feeding nightmare

(5 Posts)
Newell123 Wed 04-Jan-17 21:56:27

Hi,
I have a 5 month old son who was born 8 weeks early, at around 2 1/2 months he was diagnosed with reflux which he takes ranitidine and gaviscon for and it settled for a while. Around 2 months ago feeding once again became hell with h screaming up to an hour after every feed, consultant suggested a change in milk from nutriprem 2 to nutramigen lipl 1 for a suspected cows milk protein allergy, this was supposed to be trialled for 4 weeks ( I put all these symptoms down to the reflux again and thought he maybe needed different medications added in). First week was fine after that I literally could not even get the bottle in his mouth he screamed every feed to the point of me in tears with him, and he wasn't gaining weight. Scbu nurses visited and I was at my wits end I filmed him feeding and showed it to her and she too agreed we couldn't go on like this. She spoke to a dietician who suggested alfamino milk which is lactose free to trail for 4-6 weeks. This settled him for around 4 weeks and now we are back to the crying with feeds, not as bad as it used to be, but really unsettled, he's started bringing up small frequent amounts of milk again and I haven't a clue where to go from here, or even whether the problem has been the reflux all along and not even an intolerance. I am at my wits end with it all 😕 Any suggestions???

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 05-Jan-17 19:11:55

Yiu poor thing and your poor DS. Have you got another appointment with the Paed?

Newell123 Thu 05-Jan-17 22:10:24

Not until the end of next month and the same for the dietician. He cries and is unsettled after nearly every feed so it must be related to the feed or the reflux. Before this all started the only time we would hear him cry was when he was hungry he was such a settled baby so there's definitely something going on. Scbu nurses came today and are trying to get the appointments moved forward but so far the clinics are full.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 06-Jan-17 13:42:18

Oh that's a long time to wait with a crying baby. Is there any chance you could afford to pay for an appointment privately?

Newell123 Fri 06-Jan-17 17:24:44

I know. If I can't get seen any sooner I think we are going to have to. I'm waiting to see if his appointments can be brought forward, they are going to get back to me Monday hopefully.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now