Talk

Advanced search

3 month old started to take longer at feedings

(4 Posts)
fleurdebleugh Tue 03-Jan-17 20:47:01

Hi all

Looking for some advice / thoughts

My 3 month old DS is combi fed. He has 3 bottles of formula a day - one around lunch, one at 7ish and one at 10ish. The rest of the time he is breastfed.

He always used to be a fairly quick breastfeeder but in the past couple weeks he has started to often spend one hour feeding. It's not at every feed but maybe once or twice a day he will spend an hour in total (at both boobs).

Is this due to a growth spurt do you think? I'm always worried my supply isn't good enough because I combi feed but I've been combi feeding since birth and he's gaining weight ok (50th centile)

Starting to wonder if he's actually even sucking properly too. He kind of does little gentle sucks for most of it with his eyes closed so maybe he's just on there for comfort?

teaandbiscuitsforme Wed 04-Jan-17 01:07:34

If he's having a growth spurt, he will be trying to build your supply. Does he BF at night? This is crucial for stimulating your supply to meet his needs, especially as he's having formula in the evenings (normally cluster feeding time).

TynesideBlonde Wed 04-Jan-17 01:41:22

He's building your supply. Just follow his lead.

GashleyCrumbTiny Wed 04-Jan-17 16:14:03

Is it happening at a particular time of day? My DD started doing epic evening feeds around 10/11 weeks. Shortly thereafter she started (whisper it) sleeping through the night. He may just be tanking up in preparation for a long stretch. Getting your supply up through long stints of suckling will also help in that area!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now