Talk

Advanced search

Cut on areola - pic included!

(18 Posts)
Mangoesin Sat 31-Dec-16 20:13:13

I've no idea how this happened but two weeks ago I started experiencing pain while breastfeeding almost 11mo DD.

I went the doctors and we were both prescribed thrush treatment. Days later I noticed there was a hole in my areola and this morning I noticed pus!

It's agony when I feed. I've reduced feeds from that side as a result.

Anyone had this? Off to out if hours doctors shortly!

Watto1 Sat 31-Dec-16 20:21:24

You poor thing! That looks sore. I had similar with DD. She is now 8 and you can still see the scar sad. I found nipple shields were the only way I could continue to feed. I know they are frowned upon by some, but I couldn't have continued breast feeding without them.

Mangoesin Sat 31-Dec-16 21:34:40

Nipple shields saved breastfeeding with DD1!

I've tried with DD2 but she just refuses!

It's a Bacterial infection. I've been prescribed antibiotics.

Ouch it hurts!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 01-Jan-17 07:27:37

You poor thing. What did the Dr say?

Mangoesin Sun 01-Jan-17 10:01:04

She said it sounded like a Bacterial infection before she saw it.

It was green and weeping by their time I got to hospital. It's tiny! I felt like I was wasting their time time but it hurts so much!

She cringed a little when she saw it. She said just watch for loose stools in the baby's nappy but she'll be fine, as some of the anti biotic will pass over.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 01-Jan-17 10:12:24

Poor, poor you. Have you called the National Breastfeeding Helpline or spoken to your local LLL Leader? Both can offer support and may just be able to suggest something that really helps thanks

Mangoesin Sun 01-Jan-17 12:13:03

No didn't think to call, but my local breastfeeding group starts again next week.

I'm about to feed her from that boob shortly shock

StylishDuck Sun 01-Jan-17 12:41:07

Ouch! My own nipped just contracted in sympathy OP. Lansinoh liberally applied might help. Is it a cracked nipple that's got infected? Hopefully the antibiotics should kick in quickly. There's honestly no pain like it. That and the anticipation of the pain before baby latches on. brewcakeflowers You're doing an amazing job!

StylishDuck Sun 01-Jan-17 12:42:12

Nipples not nipped!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 01-Jan-17 13:30:49

Mango it might be worth giving one of them a call today, just for some reassurance smile.

Have a read of this on Kellymom too.

Mangoesin Sun 01-Jan-17 14:11:21

I think I'm coping but just slight worried about the supply from that boob. DD is nearly a year though so it's not a big deal.

Would very much like to keep the breastfeeding going though.

It's a hole above the nipple, but when I peel the pad away, I think some of the gunk is coming through the nipple holes too, yuk!

It's not any worse. Fingers crossed it gets better, if not I'll phone for help.

It's a catch 22. I don't want to stop feeding from there incase it gets blocked! But oh my, it hurts when she's feeding.

Thanks all flowers

Just wondered how I got a hole in my booby?

Mangoesin Sun 01-Jan-17 14:12:48

I wonder how I got a hole in my boob* I meant

Mangoesin Sun 01-Jan-17 14:16:36

Having a read of links, thanks!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 01-Jan-17 14:18:55

Mango I'm not trained and can't really offer any valuable help, please don't wait to see if it gets worse before you ring a BFC. They've BF, trained and are there waiting to help. I know I can't make yiu can, and do respect your decision if you don't, but you seem to be in pain and want to continue bfing.

jobrum Sun 01-Jan-17 14:19:13

I had the same with dd around 18months. Sge was teething so holding ger mouth a bit funny. Had to have antibiotics, it was a proper deep hole filled with goop. Slather it with lansinoh when you do feed but really try to avoid feeding on that side.

Dd also had really horrible loose poos while I was on the antibiotics so watch out for that.

HalfStar Tue 03-Jan-17 23:17:16

I got a bite from a 9 month old that made a hole confused can you dunk your boob in a bowl of warm salt water for a few mins regularly? logistically tricky but it did help a lot here.

Mangoesin Wed 04-Jan-17 00:17:14

I think it's getting better. It no longer looks gunky and doesn't hurt much if I let her feed from it in a different position (our default feeding position is lying down).

I have breast shells, if I ever needed to dip!

I wonder if this was a bite? Yikes!

AppleMagic Wed 04-Jan-17 00:24:07

It looks like a bite to me - maybe top teeth?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now