Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

4wo BF-ing for up to 12hrs straight - HELP!

(12 Posts)
Beachmum85 Mon 26-Dec-16 01:33:10

I am trying to work out if this is 'normal infant behaviour' or something I/we are doing wrong. DS2 literally feeds for up to 12hrs with max 30min naps (very few) and therefore just doesn't sleep during this time! Mercifully it is usually in the daytime (but he still wakes to feed every 1.5-2hrs at night too).

I am EBF and my nipples are so sore. I have spent the whole of Christmas Day on the sofa BFing  and gradually feeling more and more drained.

My poor DD1 is coping brilliantly but I feel so guilty for not being able to do more with her. Even if I get 5mins off the boob, I have no energy to play with her and then have to go straight back to feeding.

Any advice greatly welcomed 

freewheezy Mon 26-Dec-16 15:43:38

How exhausting. Is he gaining weight? How many wet/dirty nappies in 24 hours? Has he been checked for tongue tie?
What would happen if you didn't feed him straight after a nap? Do other things comfort him?

Frusso Mon 26-Dec-16 16:04:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Beachmum85 Mon 26-Dec-16 16:43:49

Yes Freewheezy he did have a little tongue tie but it was snipped a couple of weeks ago. It made a difference for a couple of days but some days he just has these marathon sessions where I literally can't do anything else.

We do try and have some 'playtime' between feeds which he enjoys, but if he wants boob, there's no negotiation.

He would have to choose Christmas Day! fconfused

4yoniD Mon 26-Dec-16 16:52:27

Does he sleep on the boob? Dd2 fell asleep on my boob shortly after being born and the midwife was shocked that I promptly removed said boob. Use it or lose it. I always did that, dd2 is just fine.

Namejustfornappies Mon 26-Dec-16 16:57:20

I would get ilyge tongue tie checked again. At 4 weeks you should be getting about 15-30min feed, a nap (45 - 90) mins, then a wakey period of about 30-60mins or so before another feed. Or at least that's what mine did at that age.

Beachmum85 Mon 26-Dec-16 20:21:23

4yoni yes he sleeps on the boob A LOT! But I can't really sleep or do much else with him latched on! Especially because I am recovering from a C-section and can't really wear a sling for any length of time. At night I am trying to sleep with him attached but I'm so worried about squashing him or him rolling off!

CeCeBloomer Tue 27-Dec-16 23:29:16

My first dc was exactly the same, often 12 hrs in a row, 2nd dc has so far proved a lot more efficient in feeding but I told myself if dc2 was like dc1 I would look to mix feed earlier so that I could still give time and attention to dc1. The thought of it made me feel guilty as I exclusively bf dc1 but when the dynamic changes I think you just need to do what's best for all the family

Mawddwy Tue 27-Dec-16 23:33:11

Can anyone take him for a walk in the pram - not too far as they would need to come back if he needed a feed. Mine did sleep better if they were on the move. At least you'd get a break.

Randytortoise Wed 28-Dec-16 07:50:07

is he gaining weight? my ds did this for the first 2 days. it turns out he was using me as a dummy and not actually feeding. we had to go back into hospital as he had lost too much weight.

the doctors suggested I gave him a dummy as he wanted to suck for comfort. this worked well and meant I could put him down between feeds and when he was feeding he was actually taking milk.

gluteustothemaximus Sat 31-Dec-16 14:20:47

Cluster feeds in evenings and growth spurts can result in constant feeding. They have so many growth spurts at the beginning it feels like you are never not feeding!

Nipples can get very very sore. Would recommend Lansinoh.

First 8 weeks are the hardest of all.

Most women at this point are probably told that they're doing something wrong/not producing enough and give up. It's so sad.

Plenty of wet nappies is all you need to know it's good. Yes to check for tongue tie.

Eat and drink as much as you can, rest, feed baby. That's pretty much it. Yes you're a human dummy too. 4 weeks is tiny.

Congratulations, this stage is very hard. Hope you can keep going. Ignore should and shouldn't statements, each baby is different. Good luck! 😀

MigGril Sat 31-Dec-16 14:43:19

Ok sounds like some of this is normal breastfeeding behaviour. But I'd seek more help from NCT or BfN breastfeeding support lines. Mainly as you say your sour, it could be the tounge tie and it may be worth going back to who ever cut it to get that checked out. But support with positioning and attachment is always a good place to start to help improve things. It can get better with some good support you don't just have to wait.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now