Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

SMA First Milk

(6 Posts)
wonder14 Thu 22-Dec-16 17:07:39

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice. My baby is two weeks old, I started off breastfeeding but after four days told he was severely dehydrated and I wasn't producing enough milk so we put him on SMA first milk. My son seems to be handling this fine apart from hiccups with every feed. We had a poop problem at the start but then a couple of days of normal. Now he is constipated, he basically pushes out these hard yellow balls.

I don't know what to do, he is in so much pain and the doctor won't give him anything until he is a month old. We've started giving him water but was wondering if we should move him on to SMA comfort milk? I won't use aptimal as three babies in my family this year have been diagnosed with lactose problems.

Any advice would be great!

Thank you

ITMama1 Thu 22-Dec-16 17:24:06

I could have written your post, I have a 4.5 week old, started on SMA, constipation, wind the lot. My hv advises against water in first 6 months as it fills their tummy and they don't want to feed as much, which can lead to further weight loss. was recommended to start on infacol for constipation and the stomach pains to help pass the wind. Have been on it since Mon and noticed a big improvement although cramping is still evident at certain times of day. I recommend a warm bath as well as the colic massage "sun and moon" to help relieve pain.

ITMama1 Thu 22-Dec-16 17:25:59

Forgot to say, HV advised that infacol can be taken from birth, would've been handy if they'd told us that when I had to stop breastfeeding at a week old and this all started with the formula...

wonder14 Thu 22-Dec-16 17:30:12

Thank you! We don't have any wind problems, he burps like an old man! 😂 Just wished he would poo. The doctor recommended the water an hour after the feed, no more than half an ounce. Just wish I knew if it was a milk problem so I could change it.

lightcola Thu 22-Dec-16 17:33:34

Massage his feet with your thumb, particularly the top part just under the toes. Guaranteed poo in 24 hours.

Callmecordelia Thu 22-Dec-16 18:39:04

I had terrible problems with sma. They have just changed their formula.

I switched to Aptamil and the strange poos and crying after each feed stopped. I know you don't want to switch to Aptamil, but I thought it might reassure you to know it might be an sma problem, rather than something to do with lactose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now