Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding and windy baby

(8 Posts)
sammummybee Tue 20-Dec-16 21:53:13

Hello, my baby is now 8 days old and was feeding really well up until 2 days ago where she now is really windy. She's becoming more fractious when latching on and keeps pulling off the. The wind she doesn't seem to be able to clear. My milk supply has increased a lot as she was cluster feeding.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm enjoying BF and don't want to give up but wondering if there is something I'm doing wrong.

Would love any advice, in a first time mum and want to make sure I'm not missing anything

Ohyesiam Tue 20-Dec-16 22:06:28

If you drink camomile teawhich is a digestive relaxant, it will come through in b your milk and help your baby expel wind. Also find an nct group, brilliant support for bf.
And congratulations.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 21-Dec-16 18:01:51

Don't think you are doing anything wrong at all. Have a look on YouTube at "tiger in the tree hold". It's great at getting wind up. It might also be worth ringing one of the Bfing helplines to see if they have any tips.

Congratulations too thanks

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Wed 21-Dec-16 18:03:40

DD1 was breastfed and had awful colic, infacol worked for us as well as cycling her legs and gentle massage of her tummy.

villainousbroodmare Wed 21-Dec-16 18:11:47

What are her nappies like?

worrierandwine Fri 23-Dec-16 15:36:25

Both my DD's exclusively BF but both had colicky periods. Always made sure to get wind up after a feed by trying all the different suggested holds, bicycle legs and carried in a wrap. You're doing nothing wrong and apparently FF can make colic even worse.

Millymollymanatee Sat 24-Dec-16 15:39:45

If your milk flow is fast she may be gulping air when she swallows. As your milk lets down take her off the breast and let your milk flow for a few seconds until it slows down. A fast flow might also explain why she's fractious.

When you put her down to sleep, raise the head end of her crib. This can encourage the wind to travel south.

It sounds like you're doing really well, with plenty of milk. I'm sure things will settle for you as you get to know your baby.

Isadora2007 Sun 25-Dec-16 21:15:30

I agree with the PP that if your supply is good she may just be gulping more air with the milk. But she will learn and your and her body will adapt accordingly.
You're doing fab.
Mine all liked lying with head near my hand and their tummies along my arm and kind of swinging...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now