Talk

Advanced search

Mix fed baby (mainly bf) with reflux that only occurs with formula

(7 Posts)
Nickname1980 Tue 20-Dec-16 10:56:59

Hi all! My 7 week old is mixed fed but mainly breastfed. I don't yet have enough milk to be 100% bf. Some days, but not others. And I've had to go to some urgent medical appointments which means he's had to have formula.

I have zero problem with formula, it's just that my baby exhibits reflux symptoms when he has it. I keep him upright for 30 mins after feeds and make sure he burps etc.

But not sure what to do. The formula is obviously uncomfortable for him, though he guzzles it and is a very hungry baby.

I'm wondering if I should try another kind? He's on normal Aptimil. Should I try the pepti or the comfort?

I'd say he drinks between 3-7 oz a day. And often smells quite sicky after. Like his breath is ducky if that makes sense?

ElspethFlashman Tue 20-Dec-16 11:00:18

Switch to comfort pronto. Pepti is not for reflux, it's for intolerance so wouldn't do anything. Comfort is a thicker formula and you need a bigger teat.

Get some infacol to make sure all that wind comes up.

Nickname1980 Tue 20-Dec-16 11:01:38

*breath is sicky not ducky!!

Nickname1980 Tue 20-Dec-16 11:03:05

elspeth - does the comfort constipate like the gaviscon does? I will try it!

I have the bottles that are supposed to mimic breastfeeding so not sure the teats will work but think they might come in a bigger size!

BabyHaribo Tue 20-Dec-16 11:05:43

Cows milk intolerance?

It can cause reflux and depending on how much dairy you eat it may not occur with your breast milk.

I'd ask the GP about switching milk

ElspethFlashman Tue 20-Dec-16 11:26:50

You can always widen the tests with the tip of a scissors too if you're stuck.

Nickname1980 Tue 20-Dec-16 14:04:57

I just rang Aptimil's helpline after chatting to the pharmacist (he didn't know so suggested calling) and the person I spoke to was lovely. She said that trying Carobel in the milk might be worth a go if my GP or health visitor agrees. So I'm going to see them and ask.

Anyone used Carobel?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now