Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mastitis

(11 Posts)
mypropertea Sat 17-Dec-16 06:43:34

I have it and I feel like death. Please help me wallow in self pity while I wait for the antybiot to work.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 17-Dec-16 08:17:53

I will help you to wallow, it's utter shite isn't it. Are you able to rest at all today?

mypropertea Sat 17-Dec-16 11:24:56

I had to get better antybiotics from the out of hours dr. On the bright side I don't have a temperature today smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 18-Dec-16 15:10:48

Glad your temperature is going down. Have you had mastitis before?

mypropertea Sun 18-Dec-16 19:30:04

No, thank god. It has put me right off breast feeding as I am worried it will come back, but I know if I stop f ending suddenly I will defo get it again.

5madthings Sun 18-Dec-16 19:38:03

Have you used warm flannels, also good to comb your breast with wide toothed comb to help clear any blockages and clear the mastitis.

Stopping bfeeding suddenly will make the mastitis worse so horrid ad it us its best to feed through it or pump if it's too painful. You need to keep emptying (thought breaststroke are never really empty) the breast.

How old is baby?

Kellymom has good info on mastitis. You may not get it again, I have just had it the once, baby is eight months. And I have over supply and strong let down and am prone to mastitis usually (this is baby 6)

It's wirth checking your bra as I'll fitting bra can cause blocked ducts and mastitis even pressing too hard, baby being.g rough etc can trigger it.

TheLittlestBear Sun 18-Dec-16 19:50:51

Hi OP,

Sending sympathy, its horrific!
I had mastitis so may be able to offer some insight...

I had Mastitis from expressing too much (baby wasn't latching) and stopping expressing to try to establish bfing. Had a fever and ended up in hospital. I wanted to stop altogether because of the fear that if I continued, I'd get it again when I wanted to stop. So I did just completely stop. I didn't touch them, apart from the 2nd day just to release pressure and this was in the hospital in a hot shower, just pressing on sides.

I think it was about a week of decreasing agony. But if you bf through it, it should get better faster (what the doctors told me).

However long you have been breastfeeding, you have done so well, it's so hard!! Mastitis is one of the wonderful glories of beautiful breastfeeding midwifes don't go on about for some reason

oldlaundbooth Sun 18-Dec-16 19:54:38

Make sure you don't thrush too.

oldlaundbooth Sun 18-Dec-16 19:54:52

Don't have thrush too

mypropertea Mon 19-Dec-16 14:12:33

Hi all smile I feel so so so much better today! My baby (8 weeks) seems to have a bit of an upset tummy from the antybiotics/manly milk. I am hoping it will go back to normal quickly when I come off the antybiotics, if not before.

I am defiantly in the right bra and was feeding regularly so I have no idea what happened to cause this. Have been massaging the lump in the shower (very tentative at first) hopefully this will disperse it.

I have decided to switch one feed to a bottle a week as a way of slowly winding up the breast feeds. Baby is happy to take a bottle so that's not a problem, he does insist that the premix is warmed though (diva).

Thank you all so much for letting me wallow.

mypropertea Mon 19-Dec-16 14:12:52

P.s. Defo no thrush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now