Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else's child not eat meat?

(14 Posts)
user1481911046 Fri 16-Dec-16 18:01:27

My little boy is 15 months old. He refuses to eat many meats. We can sometimes get him to eat chicken in chicken nuggets and minced beef if its saucy but otherwise will spit it out. Has anyone else's child done this? Do you think its a phase? And could you help with some vege recepe ideas please for a baby? Thanks!

Abrahamkin Fri 16-Dec-16 18:32:32

My DS (22mo) is mostly not that keen on meat either. I just present it to him. If he eats it...great. If he doesn't? it stays on the plate till he says he is done and then we take the plate away. I don't worry much about it (maybe I should be?). He can fill up on the veg/carbs/fruit/dairy/whatever else we are eating with the meat.

Shallishanti Fri 16-Dec-16 18:35:58

yes, none of mine did and still don't 20+ years later grin
at 15 months he can eat pretty much any adult vegetarian food, loads to choose from!

Tangoandcreditcards Fri 16-Dec-16 18:36:29

My DS is 2.10mo. He's always struggled with meat a bit. Like yours - sometimes roast chicken, saucy mince, but usually refused any other meat since weaning although he was a v good eater until quite recently. He's been going through a fussy phase for the last 4 months and now he won't eat any meat (not even sausages shock)

bakingmad83 Wed 21-Dec-16 21:26:03

At 15m the only protein ds ate, besides that in breast milk, was beans/peas/hummus. At 23m he now also loves beef and pork, as well as fish and hardboiled eggs, so for him it was just a phase.

cookielove Wed 21-Dec-16 21:29:01

My 2 year old use to eat it in things like spag bol or a chicken risotto but he won't pick up anything like a chicken nugget, slice of ham. They only "meat" he eats these days is squid from wagamamas confused love that little odd bod grin

SpookyPotato Wed 21-Dec-16 21:32:06

My 2 year old won't eat any meat either.. even nuggets or fish fingers! He's all about the carbs..

SallyGinnamon Wed 21-Dec-16 21:33:56

Apparently I never ate meat and I still don't. I think I was raised on macaroni cheese and scrambled egg. And I've made it to 50+

Toomanycats99 Wed 21-Dec-16 21:35:48

My now 5.5 year old took a long time to eat meat. She would only eat sausages then would also eat sliced ham about 1 year after that. School was the turning point and now she is fine with any meat.

Tootsiepops Wed 21-Dec-16 21:38:46

My 13 month old eats cocktail sausages (only the ones from m&s) and mince if in spag bol or cottage pie. Not interested otherwise.

SchnitzelVonMum Wed 21-Dec-16 21:40:42

My 15 month old is also a meat refuser, glad she's not the only one. I can sometimes get her to eat it in chilli or bolognese but that's it, she'd eat plain carbs quite happily (and sometimes does if the rest of the meal is deemed unacceptable).

anotherdayanothersquabble Wed 21-Dec-16 21:44:02

DD would probably be a vegetarian if I could guarantee it was OK for her but she is tiny and gluten and dairy intolerant so to limit her diet even further seems to difficult.

Lucy Burney's book on infant and toddler nutrition is a good reference for sources of nutrition and gives some ideas for vegetarian nutrition.

I make lots of chicken stock and use it in place of water when cooking, lots of eggs, she will eat fish and often I will cook meat on the bone in stews and she just has the vegetables which will have absorbed some of the minerals from the meat.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Wed 21-Dec-16 21:49:07

I also refused meat. As I got older I was able to eat processed pork (bacon, ham, sausages) and white meat. In halls I went for the meat option. This was the first time I had had red meat in any quantity. By December I was in hospital with severe cramps. The only thing they managed to identify was the change in diet. I cut out red meat and was fine. I now can't eat red meat or tuna. Pork and salmon I can have but if I had them everyday I would be ill. I eat mainly fish and white meat which now seems to be a fairly healthy diet without red meat.

Packergator Wed 21-Dec-16 21:51:09

Mine is reluctant, loves fish though! He'll sometimes eat pork or chicken. Doesn't like ham either, or mince.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now