Talk

Advanced search

Help please? Lost my way!

(12 Posts)
Rubberubberduckduck Sun 11-Dec-16 18:26:56

My DD is 3 weeks today. Over the last few days we have been introducing formula as she is continually hungry.

On a side note I am becoming very disillusioned with breast feeding due to the pain. She has tongue tie (awaiting to be seen by the hospital) and doesn't open her mouth particularly wide to latch on.

We were doing better before I asked my HV for help. Now her latch seems to be worse than ever and I can't take the pain.

I am expressing frequently but not producing much.

She seems to have no problems switching from boob to bottle back to boob. Where possible I am trying to give her expressed milk or bf first then formula but on occasion we are just giving her formula. She seems more content after formula and sleeps for longer.

Am I going about the above in the right way?

I do want to continue bfing I just need to get the pain sorted out. I am using lanolin by the bucket load.

This is today so far.. does this look ok?

01.38 right boob 14 mins
03.15 formula 90 MLS
04.10 formula 30 MLS
7.22 left boob 25 mins
8.00 formula 60 MLS
8.44 formula 60 mls
11.00 expressed 60 mls
11.20 formula 90 mls
14.50 expressed 60 mls
15.15 expressed 60 mls
16.00 formula 90 mls

I feel like I'm a bit lost with it all at the moment!!

SunnySideDownUp Sun 11-Dec-16 18:35:47

That sounds like a lot of milk. Babies need 150-200ml per kg per day. My 3.3kg baby has 8 feeds of 63ml a day (expressed).

Sorry breastfeeding hurts. Can you get a breastfeeding counsellor out - your local nct will know who they are, or find a breastfeeding cafe type thing. There are tricks to getting a wide mouth, try nose to nipple etc.

Good luck!

freewheezy Sun 11-Dec-16 18:54:31

If you would like to continue bfing then you will need to keep feeding now as your supply isn't established yet, although I understand this is difficult when it's painful. Is there anyway you could speed up getting someone to sort out the tongue tie?
It's most important to bf in the night as this will have a big impact on your supply. Have you tried nipple shields? I used them because dd wouldn't latch and they helped her open her mouth wider and we then weaned off them.
If you are happy mix feeding or formula feeding then you can keep going as you are, however if you feel strongly about wanting to bf then it really is important in the early weeks to feed on demand. They do feed a lot in the early days, it feels endless, just sit on the sofa or in bed and feed whenever she wants it. You'll know if she's getting enough because she'll have lots of wet and dirty nappies and be gaining weight.
Good luck x

Rubberubberduckduck Sun 11-Dec-16 20:10:22

I feel like she's having an awful lot of milk! We are at the children's ward tomorrow so I will ask about the volume she's having.

I will continue to feed through the night. I'm expressing as much as I can to keep my supply up.

Thank you for your replies xx

alex344 Mon 12-Dec-16 20:26:46

Try nipple shields! m.johnlewis.com/medela-medium-nipple-shields-pack-of-2/p/230850452?sku=230850452&s_kwcid=2dx92700013399311893&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=CPGVkfW979ACFca77QodvusGHQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

These made the difference between me giving up bf and not with my baby with tongue tie. Midwives are told to advice against them as they delay you nipples 'toughening up' but with tongue tie it can be agony!! And until you get the tongue tie sorted they might just see you though. Good luck, you're doing great xx

Rubberubberduckduck Thu 22-Dec-16 17:12:49

@alex334 THANK YOU!! Purchased these today after finding I was shying away from feeding myself and giving her more and more formula. The difference is staggering!!!

I've got to the point where my nips could take no more so even if I use these for a month or two it's better than quitting.

Thank you! flowers

Rubberubberduckduck Thu 22-Dec-16 19:03:37

@alex344 - sorry realised I'd got my digits messed up!

alex344 Fri 23-Dec-16 23:26:39

So glad it's helped, they are a pressie for your nips! Haha. Merry Christmas xx

Rubberubberduckduck Sat 24-Dec-16 12:16:30

Ha! They certainly are!! Merry Christmas!! Have a great day xx

5madthings Sat 24-Dec-16 12:25:17

Have a look at kellymom and info re paced feeding to help make sure you don't overfeed baby when bottlefeedungeding. She will be wanting to suck for comfort and to increase your supply that's normal at this system but obviously the tongue tie makes this difficult.

Glad the Shields are helping.

Callipygian Tue 27-Dec-16 22:47:49

Just to let you know, my DD was born with tongue tie which we had snipped. We used the medela nipple shields from really early on and after the snip i managed to wean her off them. It did take weeks though as its not easy to do! But i breastfed her for well over a year smile

MooMooTheFirst Tue 27-Dec-16 22:55:34

DS had a 75% tongue tie until 5 weeks when he had it snipped. I vividly remember the pain and just staring at the Samar done to my nipples. It got to the stage where he was feeding for 30-40 minutes on damaged nipples and I would regularly cry during his 3am feed.

Nipple shields did help a bit, and tubes and tubes of nipple cream, before and after a feed and then topping up in between!

I ended up feeling the need to grip my boob really hard when he fed because somehow I felt that stopped he pain from spreading up into my body hmm and I ground my teeth while he did too

BUT

Within a week of his TT being snipped his latch was better and the pain was subsiding and the length of his feeds was more manageable. DS is now seven months and still BFing, so if you can hold on until the snip then do because IME it became infinitely easier afterwards. I am cringing for you at the memory of the pain though flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now