Talk

Advanced search

Winding down bf

(7 Posts)
MrsSparkles Sun 04-Dec-16 08:09:27

Dd2 is 6 months and until a couple of weeks ago was ebf. Started to introduce bottles a couple of times a day, with a view to winding down breastfeeding over the next 6 weeks or so.

Is the best way to do this to gradually replace each feed with a bottle? She mostly feeds to sleep so hoping it also helps with that!

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 05-Dec-16 20:39:21

I think the current advice is to drop one feed every 2 weeks. This will give her the time to get used to the increased quantities and reduce your risk of mastitis.

Fluffsnuts Tue 06-Dec-16 19:17:28

Yes, do it slowly. If you start to feel really engorged or your breasts get painful you are doing it too quickly and risk mastitis.

Is there a reason you want to stop? (just wanting to stop is totally fine, just interested!).

Liskee Tue 13-Dec-16 22:45:10

Following as looking for advice on doing the same when DS turns 6 months in January. It's been a good run and I'm glad I did it, but it's time to move on from breastfeeding in preparation for me returning to work.

Kstar8 Wed 14-Dec-16 15:47:42

I'm hoping to do this too but my 4 month old is now refusing bottles and I'm worried I'll be trapped breastfeeding forever sad

1sttimemama1986 Mon 19-Dec-16 22:07:19

I'm currently doing the same. Following for advice.

We have been having bottle at bedtime for ages. Last 2 nights I've given bottle when next wakes for feed. Feel vulnerable to mastitis as had few times and boobs get full lumpy painful and engorged between feeds. My Lo is 6 months.

MrsSparkles Mon 19-Dec-16 22:13:23

Just to update - I've dropped feeds in the daytime with no problems. Still feeding at night (usually 3-4 times), planning to phase this out after xmas. Didn't feed the other night as DH did a night on duty and did feel quite sore, so thinking I'll have to be careful!

KStar. DD was a total bottle refuser until I started weaning her and now no problem at all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now