5 month old feeding more through night

(10 Posts)
Pagetta Sun 20-Nov-16 08:21:47

my DS was 5 months this weekend. he's been on formula for 6 weeks and we had settled into a vague pattern where he would have 5 bottles in the day finishing with a feed at 7.30pm, go down, then feed once or twice (usually twice) overnight- could be 11am and 2am, could be 1am and 5am, but he was getting at least one 5-6 hour stretch of sleep.
this last week though he's started feeding 3 times through the night. with a 4 yr old DS as well and a husband who works away im just exhausted.
we offer 6oz at every feed he drains probably half of them but not all.
I know it could be a growth spurt or teeth etc but has anyone else had this? as he is waking for food could weaning help?
I do feel like he gets so distracted in the day he doesn't eat much and so is up at night.
my DS1 by 4 months had a bottle at 7 and at 11 then slept til 7 - I was really hoping for similar second time lol!!

SpeakNoWords Sun 20-Nov-16 12:49:24

It doesn't sound unusual to me. My DS is 5 months and has had periods recently of wanting to feed pretty much all night. He's just started to settle back into 1 or 2 feeds overnight, thankfully.

Sweetpotatoaddict Sun 20-Nov-16 12:52:58

My dd2 is also five months and had slept through the night until a couple of weeks ago when she decided she was famished and wants to feed all night.
I'm hoping this is a phase and it will pass.

CottonSock Sun 20-Nov-16 12:56:08

Snap. Sleep regression around this age

Lenny1980 Sun 20-Nov-16 14:27:35

Exactly the same for us. DS is breastfed though so I can't tell if he's drinking more overall or just so distracted in the day he feeds less then and more at night. We do anything from 1-3 night feeds and if we only have 1 he's up super early for the day. This follows as 6 week period of sleeping 9 hours straight.

Is your DS taking less in the day? Solids can't come soon enough as far as I'm concerned!

Pagetta Sun 20-Nov-16 15:21:33

yeah I have spent the morning steaming and pureeing veg to freeze up am going to start trying him with tiny bits the next few weeks!

last few days he has upped his daily intake from around 30oz to 40 - and about 2/3 of this is overnight grrrrf!

Lenny1980 Sun 20-Nov-16 21:46:00

That's quite an increase! He's obviously a hungry boy at the moment!

I have a theory that their appetite grows quicker than their little tummies.

Heirhelp Sun 20-Nov-16 21:49:30

A baby should never drain a bottle, if he does offer him more milk.

My 6 month old added two extra feeds in last week but she has gone back to normal. I guess it was just a growth spurt.

Heirhelp Sun 20-Nov-16 21:52:30

My little one normally has more milk over night than during the day when she is going through a hungry phases.

I have heard that weaning makes this worse as they fill their tummies with low calorie food during the day so they have more milk during the night.

Pagetta Sun 20-Nov-16 22:27:39

oh thanks for the tip heirhelp I didn't realise that! I am planning on starting weanng very gradually over the next few weeks - I'm going to do a combination of purees and BLW as i did with my first son, so am just getting my cubes of veg stocked up in the freezer in preperation ha ha.

Yes Lenny its a huge increase - I actually went to see HV last week as he's 17lb but was only taking 28-30oz a day which is way less than any book or article saiys he should- she advised that as i breastfed for 4 months he is probably still full of that, and hs growth is staying on the right curve so i shouldn't worry, don't force him to have more just go with what he wants.

We offer 6oz bottles at each feed and he's only just started draining them, so i'll up it to 7ox as of tomorrow see how he does!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now