Talk

Advanced search

Cluster feeding - is every hour too much or the norm?

(11 Posts)
TeaGirl3 Fri 11-Nov-16 12:39:37

My DD is three weeks and until a few days ago, has struggled to latch. As a result, I've been trying a combination of bf, expressed bottle and formula until now.

Now she's getting the hang of bf, I'm bf every feed, which I'm delighted with.

I think she's on a growth spurt and so is cluster feeding, with demands every hour. She'll only bf from one side at a time, as she falls fast asleep after a feed.

Is it normal to feed every hour? I'm just worried that she's not getting enough, even though she has plenty of wet nappies (not that many poos, but she is doing them).

StrawberryQuik Fri 11-Nov-16 12:47:43

I think it can be, my DS was like this for months...quick five minute feed on one boob, then only wanted the next one an hour later. (He went a bit longer at night). But he never had any latching probs, and I could always tell he was getting enough because I had over supply and he'd guzzle away to keep up...

I'm guessing at this age she's still getting weighed every week? If she's still gaining weight then she may well just be a 'little and often' feeder.

TeaGirl3 Fri 11-Nov-16 13:00:43

Thanks Strawberry.

Yes she is putting on weight and we're going to get weighed again next week, as we've now been signed off the midwife. She doesn't have tongue tie, which is what the midwives originally thought could be the issue with not latching.

With feeds every hour, I can't seem to get anything done in the day. Last night I stuck to formula, so I could get 2-3 hours sleep between feeds. I just hope this frequency is due to a growth spurt and will reduce quickly.

I'm also trying to express to help boost my supply (as she favours the one side) but it's not working as yet.

babyblabber Fri 11-Nov-16 13:03:55

Totally normal. Mine all fed for the entire evening at that age and the odd cluster days of non stop.

You don't need to get anything done, that's what husbands/the Internet are for!

Rolypolybabies Fri 11-Nov-16 23:13:51

Baby may be also upping your supply to make up for the bits of formula you supplemented with so will hopefully calm down soon for you! x

badg3r Fri 11-Nov-16 23:28:35

Yea totally normal. DS once cluster fed for pretty much seven hours in a row. The ridiculous frequency of newborn feeding is top of my list of THINGS THEY REALLY SHOULD TELL YOU WHEN YOU HAVE A BABY!!

clippityclop Fri 11-Nov-16 23:30:51

Completely normal!

Coconut0il Sat 12-Nov-16 14:15:20

Totally normal, please don't worry about not getting anything done. DS2 was attached constantly, especially during the evening. DP had to keep on top of the housework, he bought me drinks and cut my food up into pieces I could eat with one hand.
I did the night feeds but DP would get up earlier with DS2 so I could get a few hours uninterrupted. Just find what works for you.
As DS got older he went longer and longer between feeds. He's 14 months now and always on the go, I really miss those early days snuggled up on the settee, watching box sets and feeding him.

Coconut0il Sat 12-Nov-16 14:18:43

Definitely should be something you're told before having a baby. With DS1 I had some crazy idea that he would feed every three hours and sleep in his moses basket in between. In reality both of mine have fed every 20 minutes and only ever slept well on megrin
It does get easier OP

BroomstickOfLove Sat 12-Nov-16 14:19:17

Totally normal but be warned: 8-12 feeds a day is normal for a newborn, and in the that will often be feeding every hour with one or two long stretches of sleep. And cluster feeding can be twelf hours of feeding without a break, with the baby screaming hysterically when you stop feeding to change a nappy/use the loo etc.

TeaGirl3 Sat 12-Nov-16 19:01:07

Thanks everyone, much appreciated! So glad to hear it does get less as she'll get older.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now