Best slow flow teat/bottle for 2 week old

(9 Posts)
goldenpineapple Mon 07-Nov-16 11:45:59

Hi, looking for some advice on bottles/teats. I have no idea about them, I really didn't want to be using them but here I am. I have a low milk supply and therefore need to top up after every feed, we are trying to get my little boy back up to birth weight. He's 16 days old. We have MAM bottles, but the flow seems too fast for him? Feeling so overwhelmed by it all and the amount of choice/lack of information from midwives on teats and bottles is just too much. I'm also terrified he will stop wanting to feed from me, I know my supply isn't enough for him but I so want to breastfeed at any capacity I can. Any help or advice much appreciated. Thank you.

user1471950254 Mon 07-Nov-16 11:56:01

I used Dr Brown's bottles and found them great for colic as they are slow feed

Lightsoffplease Mon 07-Nov-16 11:57:21

Has your baby been checked for tongue tie?

goldenpineapple Mon 07-Nov-16 12:19:28

They checked for tongue tie briefly. I had a breast reduction 10years ago so that is why I have low supply I think. I only get about 40-50mlcombined from both sides of I pump. He gets sleepy at the breast too. I will lookup dr Browns thank you

teaandbiscuitsforme Mon 07-Nov-16 19:14:11

I'm not saying you don't have a low supply but the amount you can pump isn't an indication of how much milk you're producing, it's just how much you can pump. Pumps aren't as efficient at getting milk out as babies, providing there are no issues with the baby of course.

teaandbiscuitsforme Mon 07-Nov-16 19:18:22

Also, The Milk Meg (on Facebook and her website) is great for BF advice and has lots on building supply and questioning whether you need to top up. Remember that the best way to boost your supply it to keep feeding, feeding, feeding. Offer boob all day and as much at night as you can for now. Don't feel like it's game over yet!

cathaka15 Mon 07-Nov-16 19:25:50

You're right about MAM.

Avent are very good.

OohNoDooEy Mon 07-Nov-16 19:31:33

www.mothercare.com/bottles/medela-calma-breastmilk-bottle---150ml/322906.html

AndIAskMyself Wed 09-Nov-16 18:07:59

I can recommend medela bottles - I also had to get slow flow bottles as the flow on all was too fast for my DS and he used to choke while feeding. We also found that 'paved bottle feeding' worked for him. If you search YouTube, you can find out how to do this. With paced bottle feeding the idea is to make baby work as hard for he milk as they would at the breast. It works for us and also means he doesn't drink too much on the bottle

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now